Aug 3, 2011, 9:55 AM EST
He’s not going.
Now Beşiktaş is calling and the two sides will meet Thursday, according to multiple reports out of Turkey. The Turkish side of these talks has always been the leaky one and the one trying to milk the publicity, but it looks like the two sides will talk. Team President Yıldırım Demirören is flying to Los Angeles for the meeting.
I’m glad, because maybe when they finally do meet this sillyness can stop.
Deron Williams has already signed with Beşiktaş, and if Kobe were to sign overseas it would be some legitimate pressure on the owners — or at least the Buss family — to hurry the labor talks along. But it’s not going to happen. If you think Kobe — a man obsessed with winning and getting more rings for his collection, a man who wants to pass Jordan on the all time scoring list — is going to risk all that, risk serious injury and put more mileage on his body to play in Turkey for a team that’s not even in the EuroLeague, well then I have some land I want to sell you.
But the two sides will talk. Apparently Thursday in Los Angeles with Kobe’s agent Rob Pelinka in attendance. Good, talk and let’s put these rumors to bed.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 5
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 13
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 12
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 30
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 9
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10