Aug 3, 2011, 9:55 AM EDT
He’s not going.
Now Beşiktaş is calling and the two sides will meet Thursday, according to multiple reports out of Turkey. The Turkish side of these talks has always been the leaky one and the one trying to milk the publicity, but it looks like the two sides will talk. Team President Yıldırım Demirören is flying to Los Angeles for the meeting.
I’m glad, because maybe when they finally do meet this sillyness can stop.
Deron Williams has already signed with Beşiktaş, and if Kobe were to sign overseas it would be some legitimate pressure on the owners — or at least the Buss family — to hurry the labor talks along. But it’s not going to happen. If you think Kobe — a man obsessed with winning and getting more rings for his collection, a man who wants to pass Jordan on the all time scoring list — is going to risk all that, risk serious injury and put more mileage on his body to play in Turkey for a team that’s not even in the EuroLeague, well then I have some land I want to sell you.
But the two sides will talk. Apparently Thursday in Los Angeles with Kobe’s agent Rob Pelinka in attendance. Good, talk and let’s put these rumors to bed.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32