Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
The “group of death” at EuroBasket just got a more deadly.
Deng announced that he would be playing — meaning the British basketball federation found insurance for him and his contract — on the Web site of his foundation.
“Playing for GB is always important to me so I’m really glad we could resolve this. It has been a long process but a great team effort. I can’t wait to join the team and prepare for Lithuania.”
Group A at EuroBasket consists of Great Britain, Spain (the defending silver medalists from the Olympics and a stacked squad), Turkey (finalists at the FIBA World Championships last summer), Lithuania (ranked fifth in the world by FIBA), Poland and one team playing it’s way in. That is a lot of firepower.
Great Britain is an automatic qualifier for the London 2012 Olympics as the host nation. The United States also qualified by winning the World Championships last summer (thank you Kevin Durant).
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32