Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
The “group of death” at EuroBasket just got a more deadly.
Deng announced that he would be playing — meaning the British basketball federation found insurance for him and his contract — on the Web site of his foundation.
“Playing for GB is always important to me so I’m really glad we could resolve this. It has been a long process but a great team effort. I can’t wait to join the team and prepare for Lithuania.”
Group A at EuroBasket consists of Great Britain, Spain (the defending silver medalists from the Olympics and a stacked squad), Turkey (finalists at the FIBA World Championships last summer), Lithuania (ranked fifth in the world by FIBA), Poland and one team playing it’s way in. That is a lot of firepower.
Great Britain is an automatic qualifier for the London 2012 Olympics as the host nation. The United States also qualified by winning the World Championships last summer (thank you Kevin Durant).
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31