Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
The “group of death” at EuroBasket just got a more deadly.
Deng announced that he would be playing — meaning the British basketball federation found insurance for him and his contract — on the Web site of his foundation.
“Playing for GB is always important to me so I’m really glad we could resolve this. It has been a long process but a great team effort. I can’t wait to join the team and prepare for Lithuania.”
Group A at EuroBasket consists of Great Britain, Spain (the defending silver medalists from the Olympics and a stacked squad), Turkey (finalists at the FIBA World Championships last summer), Lithuania (ranked fifth in the world by FIBA), Poland and one team playing it’s way in. That is a lot of firepower.
Great Britain is an automatic qualifier for the London 2012 Olympics as the host nation. The United States also qualified by winning the World Championships last summer (thank you Kevin Durant).
- Monday NBA playoff previews: Expect a different looking Clippers/Warriors game. 0
- Sunday NBA grades: Nene, Aldridge lead day where big men shine 2
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s Trail Blazers claw back for Game 1 win over Houston Rockets 14
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 16
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 19