Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EDT
The “group of death” at EuroBasket just got a more deadly.
Deng announced that he would be playing — meaning the British basketball federation found insurance for him and his contract — on the Web site of his foundation.
“Playing for GB is always important to me so I’m really glad we could resolve this. It has been a long process but a great team effort. I can’t wait to join the team and prepare for Lithuania.”
Group A at EuroBasket consists of Great Britain, Spain (the defending silver medalists from the Olympics and a stacked squad), Turkey (finalists at the FIBA World Championships last summer), Lithuania (ranked fifth in the world by FIBA), Poland and one team playing it’s way in. That is a lot of firepower.
Great Britain is an automatic qualifier for the London 2012 Olympics as the host nation. The United States also qualified by winning the World Championships last summer (thank you Kevin Durant).
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 8
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 17
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34