Aug 3, 2011, 6:59 PM EST
The “group of death” at EuroBasket just got a more deadly.
Deng announced that he would be playing — meaning the British basketball federation found insurance for him and his contract — on the Web site of his foundation.
“Playing for GB is always important to me so I’m really glad we could resolve this. It has been a long process but a great team effort. I can’t wait to join the team and prepare for Lithuania.”
Group A at EuroBasket consists of Great Britain, Spain (the defending silver medalists from the Olympics and a stacked squad), Turkey (finalists at the FIBA World Championships last summer), Lithuania (ranked fifth in the world by FIBA), Poland and one team playing it’s way in. That is a lot of firepower.
Great Britain is an automatic qualifier for the London 2012 Olympics as the host nation. The United States also qualified by winning the World Championships last summer (thank you Kevin Durant).
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 15
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6