Aug 3, 2011, 11:10 AM EDT
Minnesota has time to take in finding a new coach, what with the lockout and all, so they are using it to interview virtually everyone.
Enter Sam Mitchell, the former Toronto Raptors head coach, who will be the latest to interview for the Timberwolves job, according to Jerry Zgoda at the Star Tribune. It’s not a shock, we reported last week that Wolves GM David Kahn said he wanted to talk to a couple more people.
Mitchell played in Minnesota for a couple stints and in Toronto was the NBA Coach of the Year one season (which means he was cursed and would be fired within a couple years, and he was).
So to update the list of those interviewed: Mike Woodson, Don Nelson, Terry Porter, Bernie Bickerstaff, Larry Brown, and Rick Adelman (although he was just a phone call and seems uninterested in the job). Mitchell is expected to be the last of the first round interviews.
The Wolves have some interesting pieces — Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio, Michael Beasley — but getting them to fit together in the up-tempo offense Kahn demands, and more importantly getting them to play defense, will be the challenge.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 4
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 36
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte