Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EST
Would you rather be the head coach in Minnesota or the lead assistant and defensive coordinator in New York City?
Mike Woodson isn’t faced with that choice. Yet. But the former Atlanta Hawks coach is in the running for both jobs.
He interviewed in Minnesota before and might be a front-runner there (nobody seems to have a good read on the thinking there other than Rick Adelman is out). This week he will be in New York City to talk to the Knicks about coming is as a defensive coordinator, reports the New York Post.
Mike Woodson, former Hawks head coach, is expected to be in New York this week interviewing with Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni to become his defensive assistant coach, according to a person familiar with the situation…
D’Antoni is looking to add a defensive-minded assistant in an attempt to shore up the Knicks’ subpar defense. The Knicks appear at a disadvantage wooing a prominent coach because they may only offer a one-year deal since D’Antoni is in the final year of his contract.
Woodson is a good defensive coach and could work well with D’Antoni. But hiring a coach is not enough to solve the defensive woes of the Knicks — they need some more defensive minded players. If you’re starting Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stodemire, you need a real shot blocking center on the back line. They need better wing defenders. They need some players who care about that end of the floor. A coach can only mold what he is given.
Still, Woodson would be a good hire for the Knicks. If they can get him. He might want the big chair in Minnesota.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 7
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 54
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7