Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Would you rather be the head coach in Minnesota or the lead assistant and defensive coordinator in New York City?
Mike Woodson isn’t faced with that choice. Yet. But the former Atlanta Hawks coach is in the running for both jobs.
He interviewed in Minnesota before and might be a front-runner there (nobody seems to have a good read on the thinking there other than Rick Adelman is out). This week he will be in New York City to talk to the Knicks about coming is as a defensive coordinator, reports the New York Post.
Mike Woodson, former Hawks head coach, is expected to be in New York this week interviewing with Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni to become his defensive assistant coach, according to a person familiar with the situation…
D’Antoni is looking to add a defensive-minded assistant in an attempt to shore up the Knicks’ subpar defense. The Knicks appear at a disadvantage wooing a prominent coach because they may only offer a one-year deal since D’Antoni is in the final year of his contract.
Woodson is a good defensive coach and could work well with D’Antoni. But hiring a coach is not enough to solve the defensive woes of the Knicks — they need some more defensive minded players. If you’re starting Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stodemire, you need a real shot blocking center on the back line. They need better wing defenders. They need some players who care about that end of the floor. A coach can only mold what he is given.
Still, Woodson would be a good hire for the Knicks. If they can get him. He might want the big chair in Minnesota.
- Tony Parker, Spurs penetration is puzzle Grizzlies can’t solve 1
- Spurs take commanding 3-0 lead over Grizzlies with overtime win in Game 3 6
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 35
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?