Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Would you rather be the head coach in Minnesota or the lead assistant and defensive coordinator in New York City?
Mike Woodson isn’t faced with that choice. Yet. But the former Atlanta Hawks coach is in the running for both jobs.
He interviewed in Minnesota before and might be a front-runner there (nobody seems to have a good read on the thinking there other than Rick Adelman is out). This week he will be in New York City to talk to the Knicks about coming is as a defensive coordinator, reports the New York Post.
Mike Woodson, former Hawks head coach, is expected to be in New York this week interviewing with Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni to become his defensive assistant coach, according to a person familiar with the situation…
D’Antoni is looking to add a defensive-minded assistant in an attempt to shore up the Knicks’ subpar defense. The Knicks appear at a disadvantage wooing a prominent coach because they may only offer a one-year deal since D’Antoni is in the final year of his contract.
Woodson is a good defensive coach and could work well with D’Antoni. But hiring a coach is not enough to solve the defensive woes of the Knicks — they need some more defensive minded players. If you’re starting Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stodemire, you need a real shot blocking center on the back line. They need better wing defenders. They need some players who care about that end of the floor. A coach can only mold what he is given.
Still, Woodson would be a good hire for the Knicks. If they can get him. He might want the big chair in Minnesota.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 3
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 9
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16