Aug 2, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT
Would you rather be the head coach in Minnesota or the lead assistant and defensive coordinator in New York City?
Mike Woodson isn’t faced with that choice. Yet. But the former Atlanta Hawks coach is in the running for both jobs.
He interviewed in Minnesota before and might be a front-runner there (nobody seems to have a good read on the thinking there other than Rick Adelman is out). This week he will be in New York City to talk to the Knicks about coming is as a defensive coordinator, reports the New York Post.
Mike Woodson, former Hawks head coach, is expected to be in New York this week interviewing with Knicks head coach Mike D’Antoni to become his defensive assistant coach, according to a person familiar with the situation…
D’Antoni is looking to add a defensive-minded assistant in an attempt to shore up the Knicks’ subpar defense. The Knicks appear at a disadvantage wooing a prominent coach because they may only offer a one-year deal since D’Antoni is in the final year of his contract.
Woodson is a good defensive coach and could work well with D’Antoni. But hiring a coach is not enough to solve the defensive woes of the Knicks — they need some more defensive minded players. If you’re starting Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stodemire, you need a real shot blocking center on the back line. They need better wing defenders. They need some players who care about that end of the floor. A coach can only mold what he is given.
Still, Woodson would be a good hire for the Knicks. If they can get him. He might want the big chair in Minnesota.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 16
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 24
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 27
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 30
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30