Aug 2, 2011, 4:14 PM EDT
We’re desperately looking for bright sides to the NBA lockout, because after today it feels like it’s going to be a long one.
Dwight Howard has one — the players can use this time to really find themselves. Find themselves in the sense of who they really are as a person — that stuff you started to figure out while living on Top Ramen in college then really put together the first time you lived alone.
NBA players can explore more than just gyms and pickup games this summer, and maybe learn something about themselves, Howard told the Orlando Sentinel.
“It’s weird, but I think it’s a good time for myself and the other guys to really find out what we’re all about,” Howard said. “Most people view us as just basketball players, and we can use this time to learn about ourselves and explore things that we wouldn’t have the time to do if we were in season…
“I’m still in shape and play basketball,” he said. “Everything happens for a reason, and even though we have this lockout, I think it’s good for us to really find out who we are. Getting away from the game for a while is good, and we’ll come back strong, hopefully with a different attitude.”
Howard has done everything from help tornado victims in Alabama to tour China on Nike’s dime this summer. Maybe he’s finding himself. More importantly, a few of his Orlando teammates had better find their shooting stroke an the ability to create their own shot or Howard may spend next summer trying to find himself a new home.
- Celtics owner: Rajon Rondo ‘super stubborn,’ harder than average to coach 9
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 16
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 13
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 16
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 14
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 18