Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
This story requires you take it with as much salt as you would “superstar X is going to Europe to play.”
Reggie Jackson, the point guard out of Boston College, was a sleeper in this draft a lot of scouts liked. But he stopped working out after one workout for the Oklahoma City Thunder, leading every sane person on the planet to think he got a promise from some team. That rumor surfaced before the draft.
Then he fell to No. 24 and the Thunder snatched him up.
But there was no promise and no consipracy, Jackson told the Oklahoman.
“After a workout for Oklahoma City, I came back and played pickup at my school,” Jackson said. “My knee, normally I could feel it tweaking, but it always got better. But it got worse. I went to the doctor and found out I couldn’t go for about a month. I was supposed to come back. I tried to and I just couldn’t compete, so I had to shut it down. That’s about it. I was supposed to have workouts for other teams, but I honestly couldn’t go. And that was that.”
I’m not going to tell you what to believe, I’m just saying because a guy told it to a newspaper doesn’t make it true. In the end it doesn’t matter. If the Thunder made him a promise, he shut it down and they drafted him, them good on them. Sam Presti played the game well.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 4
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8