Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
This story requires you take it with as much salt as you would “superstar X is going to Europe to play.”
Reggie Jackson, the point guard out of Boston College, was a sleeper in this draft a lot of scouts liked. But he stopped working out after one workout for the Oklahoma City Thunder, leading every sane person on the planet to think he got a promise from some team. That rumor surfaced before the draft.
Then he fell to No. 24 and the Thunder snatched him up.
But there was no promise and no consipracy, Jackson told the Oklahoman.
“After a workout for Oklahoma City, I came back and played pickup at my school,” Jackson said. “My knee, normally I could feel it tweaking, but it always got better. But it got worse. I went to the doctor and found out I couldn’t go for about a month. I was supposed to come back. I tried to and I just couldn’t compete, so I had to shut it down. That’s about it. I was supposed to have workouts for other teams, but I honestly couldn’t go. And that was that.”
I’m not going to tell you what to believe, I’m just saying because a guy told it to a newspaper doesn’t make it true. In the end it doesn’t matter. If the Thunder made him a promise, he shut it down and they drafted him, them good on them. Sam Presti played the game well.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 3
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 30
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 48
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28