Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM EDT
This story requires you take it with as much salt as you would “superstar X is going to Europe to play.”
Reggie Jackson, the point guard out of Boston College, was a sleeper in this draft a lot of scouts liked. But he stopped working out after one workout for the Oklahoma City Thunder, leading every sane person on the planet to think he got a promise from some team. That rumor surfaced before the draft.
Then he fell to No. 24 and the Thunder snatched him up.
But there was no promise and no consipracy, Jackson told the Oklahoman.
“After a workout for Oklahoma City, I came back and played pickup at my school,” Jackson said. “My knee, normally I could feel it tweaking, but it always got better. But it got worse. I went to the doctor and found out I couldn’t go for about a month. I was supposed to come back. I tried to and I just couldn’t compete, so I had to shut it down. That’s about it. I was supposed to have workouts for other teams, but I honestly couldn’t go. And that was that.”
I’m not going to tell you what to believe, I’m just saying because a guy told it to a newspaper doesn’t make it true. In the end it doesn’t matter. If the Thunder made him a promise, he shut it down and they drafted him, them good on them. Sam Presti played the game well.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18