Aug 1, 2011, 12:45 PM EST
This story requires you take it with as much salt as you would “superstar X is going to Europe to play.”
Reggie Jackson, the point guard out of Boston College, was a sleeper in this draft a lot of scouts liked. But he stopped working out after one workout for the Oklahoma City Thunder, leading every sane person on the planet to think he got a promise from some team. That rumor surfaced before the draft.
Then he fell to No. 24 and the Thunder snatched him up.
But there was no promise and no consipracy, Jackson told the Oklahoman.
“After a workout for Oklahoma City, I came back and played pickup at my school,” Jackson said. “My knee, normally I could feel it tweaking, but it always got better. But it got worse. I went to the doctor and found out I couldn’t go for about a month. I was supposed to come back. I tried to and I just couldn’t compete, so I had to shut it down. That’s about it. I was supposed to have workouts for other teams, but I honestly couldn’t go. And that was that.”
I’m not going to tell you what to believe, I’m just saying because a guy told it to a newspaper doesn’t make it true. In the end it doesn’t matter. If the Thunder made him a promise, he shut it down and they drafted him, them good on them. Sam Presti played the game well.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)