Aug 1, 2011, 3:12 PM EDT
Someday the Toronto Raptors are going to hire a GM.
That day is not in the near future, but the process is slowly grinding forward. Not that there is any real pressure due to the lockout.
Apparently they have got some candidates in mind to join Bryan Colangelo running the Raptors, and eventually they will interview them. So reports David Aldridge at NBA.com.
Don’t expect any movement on the Toronto general manager’s search for a couple of weeks. Team president Bryan Colangelo was in Europe last week and won’t start whittling down his group of candidates until the middle of the month. Sixers GM Ed Stefanski, former Hornets GM and coach Jeff Bower and Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are among the candidates, but former Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard is also believed to be in the hunt and is a strong candidate. Pritchard took a player personnel job with the Pacers earlier this summer, but has an out in his deal that would allow him to leave if a GM job became available.
That’s a good list of well-respected basketball minds. They could all help the Raptors. The impression, with Larry Bird likely leaving the Pacers after next season, is that Pritchard will get the chance to move up with that team. And there are questions about how much freedom any of these men will have with Colangelo still there. But still, a good list to start with. Once they really start looking.
- Eastern Conference Finals preview: Pacers vs. Heat 1
- Clippers let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 18
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 12
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 10
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 8
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'