Aug 1, 2011, 5:48 PM EDT
It’s day 32 of the NBA lockout — meet the new lockout, same as the old lockout.
For the first time since the lockout started the two sides sat across the table from one another for nearly three hours in New York Monday but afterwards players union president Derek Fisher emerged to say little had been accomplished, that the two sides are pretty much in the exact same place as 32 days ago. There is this quote from Fisher (via a tweet from Ken Berger of CBSSports.com)
“A lot of ideas are being thrown around, but it’s become clear that the bottom line is the bottom line.”
Um, yea. It’s all about the money. The Benjamins. The bank.
The challenge was the owners first want to figure out the big issue — the split of Basketball Related Income and how to define that number — while the players came into Monday’s meeting looking to talk about system issues like the type of salary cap and length of contracts. Apparently that went nowhere. The two sides are not even discussing non-monetary issues such as drug testing yet.
If you want a bright side, the two sides agreed to try and schedule another meeting this month where they could meet for two or three consecutive days. Okay, that’s not much progress. Sorry, that’s the best we’ve got. Also, Fisher told reporters that the union is not yet looking to decertify (although that is still on the table).
We warned you not to get your hopes up about the first meeting of NBA owners and players since the lockout started. We meant it. If we don’t see any progress in five or six weeks, then you should really start to worry.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 0
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 15
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32