Aug 1, 2011, 6:15 PM EDT
Jeff Green is a frustrating player.
Great athleticism, there are moments of great play and big shots. Moments you think he can be special. But there is also terrible inconsistency and issues on defense. The bottom line is in five-man units at both Oklahoma City and Boston, they did better when he was on the bench. Whatever you want to think of the advanced NBA statistics, if your team (winning teams) consistently do better when you are off the court, there’s an issue.
Green is a restricted free agent but Boston seems intent on keeping him. There’s even talk of him taking more of Paul Pierce’s minutes. It’s a lot of responsibility, especially since a lot of people view him as the guy they gave up Kendrick Perkins for (it’s more complex than that).
With big expectations, what is Green working on and how will he be used next season? He is thinking big, he told David Aldridge of NBA.com.
That’s up to Doc (Rivers). I know they wanted me to be more aggressive, so that’s what I’ve been doing, is just working on my all-around game. Getting a little Paul Pierce in me. You know, taking a little characteristics from different players. Kobe, being one. Paul. Being with them for a couple of months now. Just a number of guys. LeBron. I’m just working on my game, trying to get better.
There are going to be a lot of eyes on Green next season. If the Celtics are going to make one more run at it, they are going to need a big season from Green and from Rajon Rondo, the young legs on the team. The Big Three will do their thing, but it will take other guys to take on more of the load for these Celtics.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 9
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 12
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 15
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 11
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11