Aug 1, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
Michael Jordan had advice for Tiger Woods as the world’s most famous golfer gets back on the course this weekend for the first time in three months. That makes sense — few people can relate to dominating a sport or being an international star as Tiger did, Michael Jordan is one of those people.
Charles Barkley, he of the worst swing in the history of golf, has some advice, too.
And it’s pretty good advice, too. Not just for Woods but for a lot of the young NBA players coming into the league. Barkley made his comments about Woods while on with Brian Berger on 750 AM The Game in Portland (as transcribed by the brilliant Blazers Edge).
I’m concerned about Tiger. I wish him the best. He’s like a brother to me. I wish him the best. But I’m very concerned about him to be honest with you.
“I feel bad. I do, I just feel bad for Tiger. He’s like a brother to me. He’s making a lot of bad decisions and it’s unfortunate.
“One of the keys to being successful is surrounding yourself with people who are always going to be honest. You’ve got to understand, most people who are around you [when you’re famous] work for you or are just kiss asses… That’s a major problem. You need to surround yourself with good people who are not going to kiss your ass and tell you what you want to hear. Who are always going to be honest.
“That’s a really, really big problem especially when you’re in the limelight. Because the people around you work for you, they want you to buy the dinners all the time, buy the drinks… you have to have a group around you that will tell you that what you’re doing is wrong and help you make good decisions.”
Barkley speaks the truth. A little odd as Barkley could have used some men to tell him the truth at times. But it is the truth.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 19
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6