Aug 1, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
Michael Jordan had advice for Tiger Woods as the world’s most famous golfer gets back on the course this weekend for the first time in three months. That makes sense — few people can relate to dominating a sport or being an international star as Tiger did, Michael Jordan is one of those people.
Charles Barkley, he of the worst swing in the history of golf, has some advice, too.
And it’s pretty good advice, too. Not just for Woods but for a lot of the young NBA players coming into the league. Barkley made his comments about Woods while on with Brian Berger on 750 AM The Game in Portland (as transcribed by the brilliant Blazers Edge).
I’m concerned about Tiger. I wish him the best. He’s like a brother to me. I wish him the best. But I’m very concerned about him to be honest with you.
“I feel bad. I do, I just feel bad for Tiger. He’s like a brother to me. He’s making a lot of bad decisions and it’s unfortunate.
“One of the keys to being successful is surrounding yourself with people who are always going to be honest. You’ve got to understand, most people who are around you [when you're famous] work for you or are just kiss asses… That’s a major problem. You need to surround yourself with good people who are not going to kiss your ass and tell you what you want to hear. Who are always going to be honest.
“That’s a really, really big problem especially when you’re in the limelight. Because the people around you work for you, they want you to buy the dinners all the time, buy the drinks… you have to have a group around you that will tell you that what you’re doing is wrong and help you make good decisions.”
Barkley speaks the truth. A little odd as Barkley could have used some men to tell him the truth at times. But it is the truth.
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20