Charles Barkley has advice for Tiger Woods, too

Aug 1, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT

Robert Guerrero v Orlando Salido Getty Images

Michael Jordan had advice for Tiger Woods as the world’s most famous golfer gets back on the course this weekend for the first time in three months. That makes sense — few people can relate to dominating a sport or being an international star as Tiger did, Michael Jordan is one of those people.

Charles Barkley, he of the worst swing in the history of golf, has some advice, too.

And it’s pretty good advice, too. Not just for Woods but for a lot of the young NBA players coming into the league. Barkley made his comments about Woods while on with Brian Berger on 750 AM The Game in Portland (as transcribed by the brilliant Blazers Edge).

I’m concerned about Tiger. I wish him the best. He’s like a brother to me. I wish him the best. But I’m very concerned about him to be honest with you.

“I feel bad. I do, I just feel bad for Tiger. He’s like a brother to me. He’s making a lot of bad decisions and it’s unfortunate.

“One of the keys to being successful is surrounding yourself with people who are always going to be honest. You’ve got to understand, most people who are around you [when you're famous] work for you or are just kiss asses… That’s a major problem. You need to surround yourself with good people who are not going to kiss your ass and tell you what you want to hear. Who are always going to be honest.

“That’s a really, really big problem especially when you’re in the limelight. Because the people around you work for you, they want you to buy the dinners all the time, buy the drinks… you have to have a group around you that will tell you that what you’re doing is wrong and help you make good decisions.”

Barkley speaks the truth. A little odd as Barkley could have used some men to tell him the truth at times. But it is the truth.

1. JackLeone - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I wonder if he feels like tiger is a brother to him?

2. danvoges - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:27 PM

i wonder if he wishes Tiger the best

3. ottoman64 - Aug 1, 2011 at 9:31 PM

Jack, you might be on to somthing there! funny sh*t haha

4. nudeman - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Barkley now giving Tiger life advice. Was Alan Iverson unavailable?

I mean, I like Charles, and I like the idea of eliminating the “Yes” men. But you’re not exactly talking about a guy here who’s stayed out of trouble. When I get caught schtupping everything that moves in South Florida and my wife throws me out on my ass, I’m thinking I might be looking to have a conversation with Tony Dungey or someone of that ilk.

5. graykeller - Aug 1, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Charles is absolutely right. You have so have people around you that are tried and true. The ones who are on your side and help you win over and over. Getting rid of his caddie was the worst mistake Woods could have made.

• florida727 - Aug 2, 2011 at 8:21 AM

You’ve obviously never met Steve Williams in person.

• nudeman - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Well florida727, I have to ask: Have you?

6. originalsmasher - Aug 1, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I love this forum. You guys are like a brother to me.

• dcarlock - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“originalsmasher”, you made my day!

7. randysavage4ever - Aug 2, 2011 at 2:49 AM

barkley look like a worm

straight up

and he got no ring

end of story

8. seanb20124 - Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 AM

No men have no job

9. brutus1925 - Aug 2, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Tiger already has ignored the advice. He has chosen as his new caddie the “childhood friend” who it is reported was responsible for making flight arrangements for some of Tiger’s women to meet with him in Vegas and elsewhere. Not exactly cleaning house and a new slate.

10. rayrsatx - Aug 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Barkley Giving Tiger advice? From the same man who once threw a fan through a window. Maybe he should “advise” Tiger’s ex wife on how to swing a golf club!

11. involvement82 - Aug 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Barkely looks hungry and full at the same time

12. autoprt8 - Aug 5, 2011 at 11:05 AM

i don’t see the problem of him giving advice. i am sure now he is much more mature than he was 20 years ago he can see his mistakes and doesn’t want him to do the same thing. sometimes people respect someone better who isn’t in their 60’s telling them what to do because of the generational differences.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches