Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 PM EST
Surfing is usually on the list of things players are banned from doing in the offseason, it’s part of their contract. To argue “but you just fall in the water” is to not respect the power and force of waves, or to understand how much it can hurt when a board tethered to your leg smacks you on the head (or anywhere else). Trust us on that one.
Like every Oklahoma transplant to SoCal, Blake Griffin thought about surfing. He didn’t really have time during the season, what with using all his energy to pull the Clippers franchise out of the muck.
But now… in an Q&A with Henry Abbot over at TrueHoop, he said he has the time and nothing to stop him.
Griffin: I just started to try my hand at surfing, actually.
How’s it going?
Griffin: Not too bad. Kind of easing into it. I’ll let you know if I get any better….
That’s got to be a surefire sign that you’re an Angelino now.
Griffin: I was never really sure if surfing was against my contract or not. And then it just hit me that I don’t even have a contract right now, and so I said OK, I better get it in while I can.
Dude, that is awesome. At least your not one of those lame Valley dudes coming over the hill to squat on my waves. My sand. Locals only. Vals go home.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 0
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7