Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Surfing is usually on the list of things players are banned from doing in the offseason, it’s part of their contract. To argue “but you just fall in the water” is to not respect the power and force of waves, or to understand how much it can hurt when a board tethered to your leg smacks you on the head (or anywhere else). Trust us on that one.
Like every Oklahoma transplant to SoCal, Blake Griffin thought about surfing. He didn’t really have time during the season, what with using all his energy to pull the Clippers franchise out of the muck.
But now… in an Q&A with Henry Abbot over at TrueHoop, he said he has the time and nothing to stop him.
Griffin: I just started to try my hand at surfing, actually.
How’s it going?
Griffin: Not too bad. Kind of easing into it. I’ll let you know if I get any better….
That’s got to be a surefire sign that you’re an Angelino now.
Griffin: I was never really sure if surfing was against my contract or not. And then it just hit me that I don’t even have a contract right now, and so I said OK, I better get it in while I can.
Dude, that is awesome. At least your not one of those lame Valley dudes coming over the hill to squat on my waves. My sand. Locals only. Vals go home.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23