Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Surfing is usually on the list of things players are banned from doing in the offseason, it’s part of their contract. To argue “but you just fall in the water” is to not respect the power and force of waves, or to understand how much it can hurt when a board tethered to your leg smacks you on the head (or anywhere else). Trust us on that one.
Like every Oklahoma transplant to SoCal, Blake Griffin thought about surfing. He didn’t really have time during the season, what with using all his energy to pull the Clippers franchise out of the muck.
But now… in an Q&A with Henry Abbot over at TrueHoop, he said he has the time and nothing to stop him.
Griffin: I just started to try my hand at surfing, actually.
How’s it going?
Griffin: Not too bad. Kind of easing into it. I’ll let you know if I get any better….
That’s got to be a surefire sign that you’re an Angelino now.
Griffin: I was never really sure if surfing was against my contract or not. And then it just hit me that I don’t even have a contract right now, and so I said OK, I better get it in while I can.
Dude, that is awesome. At least your not one of those lame Valley dudes coming over the hill to squat on my waves. My sand. Locals only. Vals go home.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 17
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14