Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Surfing is usually on the list of things players are banned from doing in the offseason, it’s part of their contract. To argue “but you just fall in the water” is to not respect the power and force of waves, or to understand how much it can hurt when a board tethered to your leg smacks you on the head (or anywhere else). Trust us on that one.
Like every Oklahoma transplant to SoCal, Blake Griffin thought about surfing. He didn’t really have time during the season, what with using all his energy to pull the Clippers franchise out of the muck.
But now… in an Q&A with Henry Abbot over at TrueHoop, he said he has the time and nothing to stop him.
Griffin: I just started to try my hand at surfing, actually.
How’s it going?
Griffin: Not too bad. Kind of easing into it. I’ll let you know if I get any better….
That’s got to be a surefire sign that you’re an Angelino now.
Griffin: I was never really sure if surfing was against my contract or not. And then it just hit me that I don’t even have a contract right now, and so I said OK, I better get it in while I can.
Dude, that is awesome. At least your not one of those lame Valley dudes coming over the hill to squat on my waves. My sand. Locals only. Vals go home.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30