Aug 1, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT
Surfing is usually on the list of things players are banned from doing in the offseason, it’s part of their contract. To argue “but you just fall in the water” is to not respect the power and force of waves, or to understand how much it can hurt when a board tethered to your leg smacks you on the head (or anywhere else). Trust us on that one.
Like every Oklahoma transplant to SoCal, Blake Griffin thought about surfing. He didn’t really have time during the season, what with using all his energy to pull the Clippers franchise out of the muck.
But now… in an Q&A with Henry Abbot over at TrueHoop, he said he has the time and nothing to stop him.
Griffin: I just started to try my hand at surfing, actually.
How’s it going?
Griffin: Not too bad. Kind of easing into it. I’ll let you know if I get any better….
That’s got to be a surefire sign that you’re an Angelino now.
Griffin: I was never really sure if surfing was against my contract or not. And then it just hit me that I don’t even have a contract right now, and so I said OK, I better get it in while I can.
Dude, that is awesome. At least your not one of those lame Valley dudes coming over the hill to squat on my waves. My sand. Locals only. Vals go home.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 4
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 38
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38