Aug 1, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
Everytime a coaching vacancy has come up, Rick Adelman’s name has come up. Which makes sense, the guy has won pretty much everywhere he has been, and when given real talent he has knocked on the doorstep of a title. Who couldn’t use a proven winner of a coach?
The question has always been, does he want to coach again?
Maybe down the line, but he doesn’t sound like he wants to jump in right now. Not with what he told the Statesman Journal in Salem.
“Right now I don’t plan on doing anything, just taking some time off,” Adelman said Monday at Illahe Hills Country Club in South Salem, hosting the 22nd Rick Adelman Golf Classic…
“I don’t have any plans to next year, no,” Adelman said. They had me interviewing a couple of places that I never even went to,” he said. “It’s all part of it now. If you don’t have a job and you’ve coached in the league, the first thing that happens if a job opens up, they throw the same names out there.
“Sometimes you know things are happening, but until you hear from teams, I don’t believe a lot of things I read,” Adelman said.
To read between the lines: Sorry Minnesota.
The Timberwolves are the lone remaining opening, and Adelman reportedly had a phone conversation with GM David Kahn, but that never sounded like a fit for both sides. If they have not met face-to-face, it’s not happening.
There shouldn’t be another opening for a while, no coach will get fired during the lockout (probably, never underestimate the Clippers organization). So maybe Adelman can rest for a while. I just hope not for a full season. I’ll miss seeing his name in rumors.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36