Aug 1, 2011, 4:29 PM EDT
Everytime a coaching vacancy has come up, Rick Adelman’s name has come up. Which makes sense, the guy has won pretty much everywhere he has been, and when given real talent he has knocked on the doorstep of a title. Who couldn’t use a proven winner of a coach?
The question has always been, does he want to coach again?
Maybe down the line, but he doesn’t sound like he wants to jump in right now. Not with what he told the Statesman Journal in Salem.
“Right now I don’t plan on doing anything, just taking some time off,” Adelman said Monday at Illahe Hills Country Club in South Salem, hosting the 22nd Rick Adelman Golf Classic…
“I don’t have any plans to next year, no,” Adelman said. They had me interviewing a couple of places that I never even went to,” he said. “It’s all part of it now. If you don’t have a job and you’ve coached in the league, the first thing that happens if a job opens up, they throw the same names out there.
“Sometimes you know things are happening, but until you hear from teams, I don’t believe a lot of things I read,” Adelman said.
To read between the lines: Sorry Minnesota.
The Timberwolves are the lone remaining opening, and Adelman reportedly had a phone conversation with GM David Kahn, but that never sounded like a fit for both sides. If they have not met face-to-face, it’s not happening.
There shouldn’t be another opening for a while, no coach will get fired during the lockout (probably, never underestimate the Clippers organization). So maybe Adelman can rest for a while. I just hope not for a full season. I’ll miss seeing his name in rumors.
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8
- Report: Becky Hammon gaining traction around the NBA as “serious” head-coaching candidate 43
- Gregg Popovich discusses three-point shot, changing roles for bigs in NBA 4