Jul 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s going to be our last chance to see multiple All-Stars on the same floor for the foreseeable future. It’s an exhibition game, but it means a lot to both sides. But there are reportedly now some issues which could complicate the Drew vs. Goodman League exhibition game in D.C. next month. From Sports Illustrated:
The game has presented obstacles for the players, too. While Drew and Goodman are both free for fans on a normal weekend, this will be a paid exhibition (tickets range from $25 to $60). As such, one involved agent said the players’ respective contracts aren’t covered by their “For Love of the Game” clause with their NBA teams and a separate insurance policy will be needed in order for them to play.
The insurance issue is going to give players a scare, considering a significant injury during the lockout means once their insurance is used up, they’d be paying any rehabilitation expenses out of pocket. There’s also a concern over sponsorship for logistical support like travel and lodging for the players. Those concerns are a bit ridiculous, however. As hard up as the players are in the lockout, they can afford a hotel room and car service for a few days. If the players want to be a part of this, they should help out the event’s organizers, who are operating several miles above their pay grade here.
If the event goes off, it could be tremendous fun and a great chance to see the players play some actual basketball. But like with anything, there are complications that could keep the fun on the shelf. Just like the lockout. This is the summer of limited fun.
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 0
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 2
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 21
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6
- Pat Riley: ‘No more smiling faces with hidden agendas.’ That’s totally about LeBron, right? 33