Jul 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s going to be our last chance to see multiple All-Stars on the same floor for the foreseeable future. It’s an exhibition game, but it means a lot to both sides. But there are reportedly now some issues which could complicate the Drew vs. Goodman League exhibition game in D.C. next month. From Sports Illustrated:
The game has presented obstacles for the players, too. While Drew and Goodman are both free for fans on a normal weekend, this will be a paid exhibition (tickets range from $25 to $60). As such, one involved agent said the players’ respective contracts aren’t covered by their “For Love of the Game” clause with their NBA teams and a separate insurance policy will be needed in order for them to play.
The insurance issue is going to give players a scare, considering a significant injury during the lockout means once their insurance is used up, they’d be paying any rehabilitation expenses out of pocket. There’s also a concern over sponsorship for logistical support like travel and lodging for the players. Those concerns are a bit ridiculous, however. As hard up as the players are in the lockout, they can afford a hotel room and car service for a few days. If the players want to be a part of this, they should help out the event’s organizers, who are operating several miles above their pay grade here.
If the event goes off, it could be tremendous fun and a great chance to see the players play some actual basketball. But like with anything, there are complications that could keep the fun on the shelf. Just like the lockout. This is the summer of limited fun.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 75
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32