Jul 30, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s going to be our last chance to see multiple All-Stars on the same floor for the foreseeable future. It’s an exhibition game, but it means a lot to both sides. But there are reportedly now some issues which could complicate the Drew vs. Goodman League exhibition game in D.C. next month. From Sports Illustrated:
The game has presented obstacles for the players, too. While Drew and Goodman are both free for fans on a normal weekend, this will be a paid exhibition (tickets range from $25 to $60). As such, one involved agent said the players’ respective contracts aren’t covered by their “For Love of the Game” clause with their NBA teams and a separate insurance policy will be needed in order for them to play.
The insurance issue is going to give players a scare, considering a significant injury during the lockout means once their insurance is used up, they’d be paying any rehabilitation expenses out of pocket. There’s also a concern over sponsorship for logistical support like travel and lodging for the players. Those concerns are a bit ridiculous, however. As hard up as the players are in the lockout, they can afford a hotel room and car service for a few days. If the players want to be a part of this, they should help out the event’s organizers, who are operating several miles above their pay grade here.
If the event goes off, it could be tremendous fun and a great chance to see the players play some actual basketball. But like with anything, there are complications that could keep the fun on the shelf. Just like the lockout. This is the summer of limited fun.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 19
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 15
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25