Jul 29, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
We’ve known for a week that Lawrence Frank was going to be next coach of the Pistons. Detroit fans are restless about this — they badly wanted Pistons legend Bill Laimbeer to get the gig — but Frank was the guy who blew everyone away during the interview process.
Of course, there was still that little matter of coming to terms on a contract. Well, they reached those terms Friday, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo.
The Detroit Pistons have reached agreement with Lawrence Frank on a four-year contract to become their head coach, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The fourth season of Frank’s contract is a team option that could become fully guaranteed based on incentives. Frank is expected to sign the contract early next week in Auburn Hills, Mich., where the team plans an introductory news conference.
While the people in Detroit don’t like it, I still think this is a good hire. Frank is a basketball lifer who understands the game, what it takes to rebuild a team (which is what the Pistons must do) and has been in the big seat previously. And before you say he blew that chance, look at what the Nets ownership did to the roster during his tenure — you can’t win without talent. Frank has been an assistant in other places and watched how Doc Rivers interacted with players up close. He has earned another shot.
One other interesting tweet from Woj:
From start of interview process, Frank was clearly Joe Dumars’ choice to replace John Kuester. Ownership agreed. No close second in process.
This is different than earlier reports, which had Mike Woodson as Dumars preferred choice, albeit slightly as he liked Frank also, and new owner Tom Gores preferring Frank. You can take the above comments as truth or post-hiring spin, depending on your mood.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15