Jul 29, 2011, 6:36 PM EDT
Matt Barnes has to feel like he has a clean slate in Los Angeles.
He struggled last season with the triangle offense and finding his rhythm, then he missed 26 games with right nee surgery. He came back in time for the playoffs, but he was not 100 percent and couldn’t contribute much as the Lakers got smacked around by the Mavericks.
Next season he’s got a new coach in Mike Brown and a new system. A chance to prove himself again. And his knee appears to be healthy, from what he told Marc Spears of Yahoo. After taking some time to let his body rest when the season in, Barnes was back at it getting some run in the San Francisco Pro-Am. He got in a lot of time on the court, took some hard fouls in a physical game and kept on playing.
While his legs were a little tired, he said his knee was fine.
The former UCLA star said he just wants to be ready for next season — whenever it starts — and to help the Lakers bounce back from an early playoff exit for them.
“It was the hardest thing I’ve been through in my life – to finally be a Laker, not being able to contribute,” Barnes, who exercised his $1.9 million option for next season. “That’s not to say we would have won. But I know I could’ve helped out as far as physicality, defense, rebounding, toughness and knocking down shots. That’s all the things I could do and not being able to be out there killed me.”
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 9
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 28
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17