Jul 29, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
His knee had been an issue the last couple seasons — it’s almost bone on bone. It’s why Kobe had surgery on it last summer, and why he had to have it drained multiple times in previous years. It’s why Kobe sat out most Lakers practices last season. But three straight trips to the NBA finals with an Olympics thrown in is a lot of basketball and not a lot of rest the last few years.
This year the Lakers got unceremoniously bounced in the second round by the Mavericks. Lakers fans hated that, but apparently Kobe’s knees liked it.
Derek Fisher said Friday about teammate and pal Kobe Bryant: “He’s telling me — and I saw for myself — that his knee is the best it’s been in a long time…”
Fisher said he didn’t really believe Bryant’s boasting initially, but seeing Bryant in action was convincing.
“I saw it a little bit in Manila,” Fisher said, smiling, “so I believe it now.”
Things that would help the Lakers bounce back next year include a healthier Kobe (with a new coach he can’t be sitting out practices). Another thing that would help is a new point guard, but we’ll talk to Fisher about that later.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?