Jul 29, 2011, 8:51 AM EST
Jay Vincent leaves the trail of a con artist.
He also was a college teammate and national champion at Michigan State with Magic Johnson. He went on to be a second round pick of the Mavericks in 1981 who scored 21.4 points per game his rookie year in Dallas and had a nine-year NBA career (with six different teams) that ended back with Magic on the Lakers in 1990.
Since pleading guilty last year to running an employment scam that authorities said netted at least $2 million, former Michigan State University basketball star Jay Vincent has continued to defraud people, court documents say.
Vincent, 52, who is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 2 in federal court, advertised tryouts this year for nonexistent exhibition basketball teams and paid for those newspaper advertisements using bad checks, the U.S. Attorney’s Office says in a motion to revoke Vincent’s bond….
Vincent charged participants a “tryout” fee that at one point was $85. According to court documents, one man was notified he made the team after a tryout in Monroe and Vincent instructed the man to send $275 and to expect a contract. The man became suspicious and didn’t pay, but others did, the documents say.
Vincent says that the team is legitimate and that he has papers to prove it. Needless to say, prsecutors think the documents are meaningless if they are even real.
The whole story is just sad and ugly.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 4
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 19
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 54
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11