Jul 29, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Vincent leaves the trail of a con artist.
He also was a college teammate and national champion at Michigan State with Magic Johnson. He went on to be a second round pick of the Mavericks in 1981 who scored 21.4 points per game his rookie year in Dallas and had a nine-year NBA career (with six different teams) that ended back with Magic on the Lakers in 1990.
Since pleading guilty last year to running an employment scam that authorities said netted at least $2 million, former Michigan State University basketball star Jay Vincent has continued to defraud people, court documents say.
Vincent, 52, who is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 2 in federal court, advertised tryouts this year for nonexistent exhibition basketball teams and paid for those newspaper advertisements using bad checks, the U.S. Attorney’s Office says in a motion to revoke Vincent’s bond….
Vincent charged participants a “tryout” fee that at one point was $85. According to court documents, one man was notified he made the team after a tryout in Monroe and Vincent instructed the man to send $275 and to expect a contract. The man became suspicious and didn’t pay, but others did, the documents say.
Vincent says that the team is legitimate and that he has papers to prove it. Needless to say, prsecutors think the documents are meaningless if they are even real.
The whole story is just sad and ugly.
- Report: The Clippers have let go of Vinny Del Negro as coach 3
- Durant donates $1 million to Oklahoma City tornado disaster relief efforts 8
- Odds for the NBA Draft Lottery (that teams don’t care if they win) 6
- Jim Boeheim says Knicks problem is not Carmelo, it’s everyone else 6
- Report: Tony Parker got death threat during Game 1 9
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (87)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable