Jul 29, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Vincent leaves the trail of a con artist.
He also was a college teammate and national champion at Michigan State with Magic Johnson. He went on to be a second round pick of the Mavericks in 1981 who scored 21.4 points per game his rookie year in Dallas and had a nine-year NBA career (with six different teams) that ended back with Magic on the Lakers in 1990.
Since pleading guilty last year to running an employment scam that authorities said netted at least $2 million, former Michigan State University basketball star Jay Vincent has continued to defraud people, court documents say.
Vincent, 52, who is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 2 in federal court, advertised tryouts this year for nonexistent exhibition basketball teams and paid for those newspaper advertisements using bad checks, the U.S. Attorney’s Office says in a motion to revoke Vincent’s bond….
Vincent charged participants a “tryout” fee that at one point was $85. According to court documents, one man was notified he made the team after a tryout in Monroe and Vincent instructed the man to send $275 and to expect a contract. The man became suspicious and didn’t pay, but others did, the documents say.
Vincent says that the team is legitimate and that he has papers to prove it. Needless to say, prsecutors think the documents are meaningless if they are even real.
The whole story is just sad and ugly.
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 0
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 11
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 66
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29
- Top seven free agents still on the market 49