Jul 29, 2011, 8:51 AM EDT
Jay Vincent leaves the trail of a con artist.
He also was a college teammate and national champion at Michigan State with Magic Johnson. He went on to be a second round pick of the Mavericks in 1981 who scored 21.4 points per game his rookie year in Dallas and had a nine-year NBA career (with six different teams) that ended back with Magic on the Lakers in 1990.
Since pleading guilty last year to running an employment scam that authorities said netted at least $2 million, former Michigan State University basketball star Jay Vincent has continued to defraud people, court documents say.
Vincent, 52, who is scheduled to be sentenced Sept. 2 in federal court, advertised tryouts this year for nonexistent exhibition basketball teams and paid for those newspaper advertisements using bad checks, the U.S. Attorney’s Office says in a motion to revoke Vincent’s bond….
Vincent charged participants a “tryout” fee that at one point was $85. According to court documents, one man was notified he made the team after a tryout in Monroe and Vincent instructed the man to send $275 and to expect a contract. The man became suspicious and didn’t pay, but others did, the documents say.
Vincent says that the team is legitimate and that he has papers to prove it. Needless to say, prsecutors think the documents are meaningless if they are even real.
The whole story is just sad and ugly.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 2
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 8
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15