Jul 28, 2011, 9:05 AM EDT
We warned you a few days ago this was likely, and while the location changed the result remains the same.
Celtics second round pick E’Twaun Moore has signed with the Italian team Benetton Treviso for next season, reports Sportando. There reportedly is an opt-out clause so if the NBA does start up again he an come back and try to make the Celtics squad.
This is a smart move by Moore, who was the No. 55 pick overall. While he likely would have made he Celtics roster, as a second round pick there is no guaranteed money and with the lockout it’s the wise move to make sure he gets a payday next season.
Moore was a good college player — he averaged 18 points a game as a senior at Purdue — but is not the kind of explosive athlete that impresses scouts. Still, he was one of those guys who just seemed to make smart plays and get things done. He could have a nice career as an NBA backup player. But first he’s going to get a year of seasoning in Italy.
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 15
- Anthony Davis and Pelicans agree to five-year, $145 million contract extension 27
- Report: Kevin Love to meet with Lakers later in week 7
- Report: Lakers working to clear out more cap space to land both LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan 32
- PBT Extra: What players will most influence free agency? 1
- PBT Podcast: The top guys to watch as NBA free agency tips off 3
- Scottie Pippen: “I was LeBron James before LeBron James” 30
- Report: Kings probing John Calipari about his interest in coaching and running the team’s front office 22