Jul 28, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Fans gathered outside the FedEx Forum in Memphis Thursday night in a candle light vigil to remember former Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright.
It was one year ago to the day that Wright’s body was found dead in a field in southeast Memphis. He had been shot 10 times and the police ruled it a homicide. No arrests have been made in the case.
Wright was a local kid who made it. He was born in Memphis, went to high school there and stared at the University of Memphis. He was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was one of the good guys. Fans liked him, teammates liked him, the media liked him. That’s how I choose to remember him. And it sounds like a lot of people in Memphis remember that Wright, too.
- Report: Phil Jackson’s camp doesn’t believe agreement with Knicks is close 2
- PBT Extra: Can Phil Jackson help right the ship in New York? 12
- Phil Jackson reportedly close to taking Knicks job, nobody asked Carmelo about it 35
- PBT Power Rankings: Tell me again how the Spurs are too old…. 11
- Sunday NBA grades: All hail the unstoppable Jodie Meeks 14