Jul 28, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Fans gathered outside the FedEx Forum in Memphis Thursday night in a candle light vigil to remember former Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright.
It was one year ago to the day that Wright’s body was found dead in a field in southeast Memphis. He had been shot 10 times and the police ruled it a homicide. No arrests have been made in the case.
Wright was a local kid who made it. He was born in Memphis, went to high school there and stared at the University of Memphis. He was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was one of the good guys. Fans liked him, teammates liked him, the media liked him. That’s how I choose to remember him. And it sounds like a lot of people in Memphis remember that Wright, too.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 20
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 18
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80