Jul 28, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Fans gathered outside the FedEx Forum in Memphis Thursday night in a candle light vigil to remember former Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright.
It was one year ago to the day that Wright’s body was found dead in a field in southeast Memphis. He had been shot 10 times and the police ruled it a homicide. No arrests have been made in the case.
Wright was a local kid who made it. He was born in Memphis, went to high school there and stared at the University of Memphis. He was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was one of the good guys. Fans liked him, teammates liked him, the media liked him. That’s how I choose to remember him. And it sounds like a lot of people in Memphis remember that Wright, too.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49