Jul 28, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Fans gathered outside the FedEx Forum in Memphis Thursday night in a candle light vigil to remember former Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright.
It was one year ago to the day that Wright’s body was found dead in a field in southeast Memphis. He had been shot 10 times and the police ruled it a homicide. No arrests have been made in the case.
Wright was a local kid who made it. He was born in Memphis, went to high school there and stared at the University of Memphis. He was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was one of the good guys. Fans liked him, teammates liked him, the media liked him. That’s how I choose to remember him. And it sounds like a lot of people in Memphis remember that Wright, too.
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 10
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 29
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35