Jul 28, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
Fans gathered outside the FedEx Forum in Memphis Thursday night in a candle light vigil to remember former Grizzlies player Lorenzen Wright.
It was one year ago to the day that Wright’s body was found dead in a field in southeast Memphis. He had been shot 10 times and the police ruled it a homicide. No arrests have been made in the case.
Wright was a local kid who made it. He was born in Memphis, went to high school there and stared at the University of Memphis. He was the No. 7 pick in the 1996 NBA draft by the Los Angeles Clippers. He went on to have a 13-year career playing with Atlanta and Memphis, then finishing his career in Cleveland during the 08-09 season.
He was one of the good guys. Fans liked him, teammates liked him, the media liked him. That’s how I choose to remember him. And it sounds like a lot of people in Memphis remember that Wright, too.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10