Jul 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
In case you missed it Kentucky coach John Calipari is the coach of the Dominican Republic’s national basketball team this summer as it tries to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
They’re a long shot (despite having NBA players Francisco Garcia, Al Horford and Charlie Villanueva), but Calipari wants to help out of the goodness of his heart. Don’t think it’s for future recruiting inroads, nope, not about that at all. Calipari is just very altruistic.
The Dominicans need some tune-up games for the Americas Tournament that starts at the end of August, and Calipari has come up with one, reports Hoopsworld.
On August 15, Calipari’s two teams will collide at Rupp Arena, according to tweets from the head coach. Team Dominican Republic will face Team Kentucky, which will be made up of eight of the program’s former stars. Calipari will coach the national team while Sam Bowie and Joe B. Hall will lead the Kentucky alum….
What are the odds Cousins gets in foul trouble and has to sit most of the exhibition game? I’d say 50-50.
Tickets go on sale Friday and there is talk of a television broadcast, but details have yet to emerge.
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 0
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 9
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 3
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 22
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68