Jul 28, 2011, 2:05 PM EDT
In case you missed it Kentucky coach John Calipari is the coach of the Dominican Republic’s national basketball team this summer as it tries to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics.
They’re a long shot (despite having NBA players Francisco Garcia, Al Horford and Charlie Villanueva), but Calipari wants to help out of the goodness of his heart. Don’t think it’s for future recruiting inroads, nope, not about that at all. Calipari is just very altruistic.
The Dominicans need some tune-up games for the Americas Tournament that starts at the end of August, and Calipari has come up with one, reports Hoopsworld.
On August 15, Calipari’s two teams will collide at Rupp Arena, according to tweets from the head coach. Team Dominican Republic will face Team Kentucky, which will be made up of eight of the program’s former stars. Calipari will coach the national team while Sam Bowie and Joe B. Hall will lead the Kentucky alum….
What are the odds Cousins gets in foul trouble and has to sit most of the exhibition game? I’d say 50-50.
Tickets go on sale Friday and there is talk of a television broadcast, but details have yet to emerge.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 6
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 39
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15