Jul 27, 2011, 10:56 AM EDT
Now, he is back in Spain preparing for EuroBasket, where the silver medal team from the 2008 Olympics will try to qualify for London 2012.
While at training camp he spoke with FIBA’s site about the upcoming transition.
“I approach it with more hope than fear, and with great respect for things,” he said. “I have a huge desire to live this experience, both on the court and off it. I have never moved house before. I have never had that change. I want to have that change of culture, though I don’t want to lose the connection to family that I have.”
Rubio can expect the changes to be big, both on and off the court.
“I think it will be physically harder than Europe – I will need to do more weights,” he said of the NBA’s playing style.
He will need to get stronger, and his jumper needs to get more consistent. His game is going to have to mature and he is going to have to adapt. But he has a court vision you just don’t teach, and if it comes with a good work ethic he will do well in Minnesota. I like his attitude of embracing the experience. Lets hope he gets to embrace a full NBA season.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 31
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 22
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect