Jul 27, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is taking his soccer talents to Washington, D.C., where he has agreed to play in a celebrity soccer game Sunday.
Former soccer great Mia Hamm and her husband, former Dodgers player Nomar Garciaparra, are playing host to their fourth annual Soccer Challenge that benefits the Mia Hamm Foundation & Children’s National Medical Center.
Apparently Kobe’s knees are feeling good. And any lingering pain in his fingers is irrelevant here.
As Carr mentions, Bryant grew up playing soccer in Italy (he lived there while his father played professional basketball in Italy). Bryant is still a huge fan of FC Barcelona (yes, we know that’s not in Italy, but it’s his fandom not ours), he is friends with Ronaldinho and has been to Barca practices.
Considering that and Bryant’s legendary competitive drive, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Kobe ended up putting in a few goals on Sunday.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 29
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 31
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18