Jul 27, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is taking his soccer talents to Washington, D.C., where he has agreed to play in a celebrity soccer game Sunday.
Former soccer great Mia Hamm and her husband, former Dodgers player Nomar Garciaparra, are playing host to their fourth annual Soccer Challenge that benefits the Mia Hamm Foundation & Children’s National Medical Center.
Apparently Kobe’s knees are feeling good. And any lingering pain in his fingers is irrelevant here.
As Carr mentions, Bryant grew up playing soccer in Italy (he lived there while his father played professional basketball in Italy). Bryant is still a huge fan of FC Barcelona (yes, we know that’s not in Italy, but it’s his fandom not ours), he is friends with Ronaldinho and has been to Barca practices.
Considering that and Bryant’s legendary competitive drive, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Kobe ended up putting in a few goals on Sunday.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48