Jul 27, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is taking his soccer talents to Washington, D.C., where he has agreed to play in a celebrity soccer game Sunday.
Former soccer great Mia Hamm and her husband, former Dodgers player Nomar Garciaparra, are playing host to their fourth annual Soccer Challenge that benefits the Mia Hamm Foundation & Children’s National Medical Center.
Apparently Kobe’s knees are feeling good. And any lingering pain in his fingers is irrelevant here.
As Carr mentions, Bryant grew up playing soccer in Italy (he lived there while his father played professional basketball in Italy). Bryant is still a huge fan of FC Barcelona (yes, we know that’s not in Italy, but it’s his fandom not ours), he is friends with Ronaldinho and has been to Barca practices.
Considering that and Bryant’s legendary competitive drive, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Kobe ended up putting in a few goals on Sunday.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 12
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43