Jul 27, 2011, 6:35 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is taking his soccer talents to Washington, D.C., where he has agreed to play in a celebrity soccer game Sunday.
Former soccer great Mia Hamm and her husband, former Dodgers player Nomar Garciaparra, are playing host to their fourth annual Soccer Challenge that benefits the Mia Hamm Foundation & Children’s National Medical Center.
Apparently Kobe’s knees are feeling good. And any lingering pain in his fingers is irrelevant here.
As Carr mentions, Bryant grew up playing soccer in Italy (he lived there while his father played professional basketball in Italy). Bryant is still a huge fan of FC Barcelona (yes, we know that’s not in Italy, but it’s his fandom not ours), he is friends with Ronaldinho and has been to Barca practices.
Considering that and Bryant’s legendary competitive drive, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Kobe ended up putting in a few goals on Sunday.
- Bulls beat Heat, show why nobody wants to face them in playoffs 20
- Former GM: Carmelo Anthony leaving in free agency would be ‘doing Knicks a favor’ 17
- Report: Cavaliers privately believe it’s not too late to lure LeBron back to Cleveland 16
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 40
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 5