Jul 27, 2011, 1:23 PM EDT
Rodney White, the college star who put UNC Charlotte in the NCAA Tournament a decade ago then was the No. 9 pick of the Detroit Pistons in 2001, has been arrested, according to the Charlotte Observer (via SLAM).
The charges are pretty serious — “managing what investigators called “an elaborate” marijuana-growing operation in Alexander and Iredell counties” according to the report.
“During the search, an elaborate underground bunker was located, where detectives found a hidden marijuana grow room,” Redmond said.
Based on that discovery, agents got a search warrant for a residence on Montibello Drive in Mooresville. Redmond said detectives found more than four pounds of marijuana; an assortment of firearms; grow lights; planting materials; and other items used to grow marijuana.
White played four seasons in the NBA with the Pistons, Nuggets and Warriors, plus played some in Europe and Asia after his NBA career ended.
He is being held on $50,000 bail.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 18
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 8
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 23