Jul 26, 2011, 2:26 PM EST
Every year, before training camps open, the NBA gathers about 50 incoming rookies (not all of whom will make a roster) together and gives them a real education. Well, except this year.
The NBA’s Rookie Transition Program has been postponed.
What are we talking about? At this blog we talk plenty about the on-the-court challenges rookies face — you don’t run into Dwight Howard trying to block your shot in college — but there are more pitfalls off the court. These are men ages 19 to 22 who are about to come into a lot of money and celebrity. There are people trying to scam them, family members who come out of the woodwork and become parasites, and temptations galore.
So the league has its Rookie Transition Program — for three days players listen to lectures from former players, federal agents, NBA league officials and a host of others. Incoming NBA players get lessons on how to say no to family members, sexual health (and how to stay healthy), staying away from drugs (and anti-drug programs), gambling and a host of other issues. It doesn’t always work — remember how you knew everything at 19? — but it gives players the tools to avoid some of the traps out there off the court.
But the league announced Tuesday this year’s version (set for August in New York) it has been postponed.
“Without a new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players’ union, we will be unable to hold RTP as originally scheduled,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said. “This is an important educational program for our incoming players, and it will be rescheduled once the parties agree on a CBA.”
Not a surprise, just another sign of the lockout disrupting business as usual for the NBA.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 50
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 25
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 13
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10