Jul 26, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT
Dwight Howard stands out at Comic-Con. Which is not that easy to do. The entire city of San Diego seems to be dressed as a stormtrooper or an Amime character for the annual convention of all-things comic and sci-fi.
But a 6’11” man who is the best center walking the planet gets noticed anywhere he goes.
He was there to help promote Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil,” The Disney XD show on which he voices one of the characters. Comic-Con is sort of nerd Valhalla but there were still plenty of hoops fans there. And that means Dwight got asked about his future. Roughly 8 million times, according to ESPN.
• What about the Lakers? “That’s everybody’s question,” he told the “Kick” audience. “I am wearing purple … but that’s Rock’s outfit.” (Rock is the character he voices in the show.)
• The Heat? “Never.”
• Stay with the Magic or leave for free agency? “At this point, I don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m just enjoying life and taking advantage of being young and being able to travel and do the things that I’ve always wanted to do.”
• Will he consider playing overseas if the NBA lockout drags on? “Yeah, I don’t want to just sit around and do nothing. That’s just a waste. There’s no telling when the NBA season’s going to start, so if I’m just sitting at home and one day it decides to pop back up and I’m not ready, I’m going to look bad.”
There you go. What would have made this better is Howard dressed as a stormtrooper… although if they were all clones the 6’11” one might have stood out a little. And made a big target.
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 7
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 10
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 5
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 46
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7
- Report: Lakers considering bringing back Metta World Peace 33