Jul 26, 2011, 9:27 PM EDT
David West rolled the dice.
He was maybe the best free agent power forward on the market, a fantastic pick-and-pop partner for an elite point guard. The kind of guy that a lot of teams with cap room — the Pacers, the Nets — could use. A guy the Hornets want back… more like need back if they plan to keep Chris Paul next summer.
He’s also a guy who blew out his ACL. That will give teams pause when handing out big contracts. So he took a big risk opting out of the final year of his deal and testing the market.
The good news is West told David Aldridge of NBA.com he’ll be ready to go come October, when training camps would start. If there are October camps this year.
“The way I’m looking at it, by October, I should be fully healthy,” West said Monday morning. “When I go see Dr. (David) Altchek in October, he should be giving me clearance to go out there and do my thing.”
As Aldridge notes, the rehab West is doing five days a week and that trip to Dr. Altchek are now paid by West out of his own pocket — his insurance from the league is locked out, too.
If the lockout does cost games, it could benefit West in terms of proving he is healthy to prospective teams. What kind of prospective teams? West wiped out a $7.5 million option year on his deal, so he expects to get paid, but he also sounds like a veteran who is starting to think legacy and rings more than bank account.
“I talked to my agent, and my whole thing is, I just want to see what’s out there,” West said. “I’m not saying New Orleans isn’t a possibility. I want to see what’s out there. And I want an opportunity to win. I’ll be 31 at the end of the summer and no matter how great I feel physically and mentally, every year you don’t win is a wasted year, a blown year, an opportunity you’ll never get back. I don’t want any more of those years. I’ve played eight years. And I want the next three or four years to be different.”
He will be a prime free agent. Whenever we get around to that.
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 0
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 12
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 12
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 17
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 10
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 23