Jul 25, 2011, 8:10 AM EST
At this point, if I hear Minnesota general manager David Kahn wants to interview Adolph Rupp, I will not be surprised.
After interviewing Adelman and Nellie this weekend, #Timberwolves intend to interview Larry Brown and probably 1 or 2 others
Brown was the coach at UCLA when Kahn was a reporter for the school paper covering the Bruins, so they go way back in an odd sort of way. Brown is a Hall of Fame coach (already inducted), an NBA Champion with 27 years as an NBA head man, not to mention four in the ABA and some time in college (where he won a national championship thanks to Danny Manning). He has a career with 1,098 NBA wins and a .548 winning percentage. The guy can coach. He can coach defense, he can be a disciplinarian, both things the Wolves need.
But at age 71, is he the guy to mold a young team that won 17 games last season. He’s going to relate to Ricky Rubio and Michael Beasley? This is a guy who notoriously sat rookies. This is a guy who covets players on other teams and pushes for roster turnover (and Kahn said this roster was basically set for the future). This is your coach for the future of this roster?
Between Don Nelson (interviewed over the weekend) and Brown, it seems the Wolves are leaving no stone unturned in their coaching search (also interviewed: Terry Porter, Mike Woodson, Rick Adelman and Bernie Bickerstaff). With the lockout, there is no real pressure on Minnesota to expedite the process. But there may be some stones not really worth turning over
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 0
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 7
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 2
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 5
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 4
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)