Jul 25, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
At this point, if I hear Minnesota general manager David Kahn wants to interview Adolph Rupp, I will not be surprised.
After interviewing Adelman and Nellie this weekend, #Timberwolves intend to interview Larry Brown and probably 1 or 2 others
Brown was the coach at UCLA when Kahn was a reporter for the school paper covering the Bruins, so they go way back in an odd sort of way. Brown is a Hall of Fame coach (already inducted), an NBA Champion with 27 years as an NBA head man, not to mention four in the ABA and some time in college (where he won a national championship thanks to Danny Manning). He has a career with 1,098 NBA wins and a .548 winning percentage. The guy can coach. He can coach defense, he can be a disciplinarian, both things the Wolves need.
But at age 71, is he the guy to mold a young team that won 17 games last season. He’s going to relate to Ricky Rubio and Michael Beasley? This is a guy who notoriously sat rookies. This is a guy who covets players on other teams and pushes for roster turnover (and Kahn said this roster was basically set for the future). This is your coach for the future of this roster?
Between Don Nelson (interviewed over the weekend) and Brown, it seems the Wolves are leaving no stone unturned in their coaching search (also interviewed: Terry Porter, Mike Woodson, Rick Adelman and Bernie Bickerstaff). With the lockout, there is no real pressure on Minnesota to expedite the process. But there may be some stones not really worth turning over
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 2
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 12
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29