Jul 25, 2011, 10:18 AM EST
For a first round NBA pick — a guy with guaranteed NBA money coming — signing a deal in Europe is a risk. Get injured and that money disappears.
But a second round NBA pick is not assured of making an NBA roster at all. With the lockout potentially dragging on, them signing in Europe to make sure they get a payday has a lot of logic to it.
Enter E’Twaun Moore, the Boston Celtics second round pick. The guard out of Purdue is close to inking a deal with Italian league team Cimberio Varese for next season, according to Sportando (via Hoopshype). But don’t worry Boston fans, if you want him you can still get him.
Moore will have short NBA out in the contract to exercise when the lockout ends if he gets an offer from Celtics. “The NBA escape is a bit risky for us, but the game’s worth the candle,” said Vescovi, president of the team. The deal is expected to be announced soon.
Moore averaged 18 points a game as a senior at Purdue and, while not an explosive athlete, was one of those guys who just seemed to make plays and get things done. You can see him making a solid reserve player in the NBA someday. And getting some seasoning in a top European league while the NBA owners and players argue over how to split up the fans money will only give him more valuable experience
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 1
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)