Jul 24, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
No, wait, no, no he’s not. From Yahoo! Sports:
Kobe Bryant is “nowhere near any kind of a deal,” in Turkey, source tells Y! “Not even close.” He’s listening to offers, but that’s all now.
This is like “War of the Worlds.” Besiktas is Orson Wells, we’re the poor, unsuspecting public gathering rifles for possemen to go hunt the little green Martians invading from Turkey. Pau Gasol is the Tom Cruise’s little girl. Or something. It’s not a perfect analogy.
This thing is going to drag on for a while. Bryant’s going to continue to solicit offers. Supposedly Bryant and Besiktas are going to meet next week when officials come to the United States for Deron Williams‘ signing. But Bryant’s also scheduled to continue his Nike tour in Asia next week. But hey, facts have never stopped a good story before.
On the flip side, crazier things have happened, and if there’s one thing that will drive Bryant to do something, it’s people doubting him. And everyone is doubting him. There’s a consensus that this whole notion is crazy, even as multiple NBA stars are signed, sealed and delivered overseas. Bryant’s a rare case, a Hall of Fame All-Star still competing in his prime, and, you know, Kobe Bryant. He doesn’t need the money, doesn’t need the work, does need the rest, and has no real reason to go. But on the flip side, it’s legitimate competition, which he’s obsessed with, and a chance to expand his brand to optimize his non-basketball earnings in the twilight of his career. There are reasons for him to go, reasons for him not to.
No one can believe he’s going. No one’s saying he’s not.
This is like Schrodinger’s Cat. Bryant is currently both playing and not playing for Turkey.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 4
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 8
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 40
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3