Jul 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
From the office of “unnecessarily depressing news” comes word from TMZ that former Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis is being charged with sexual assault.
According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Francis allegedly “groped” a 20-year-old woman through her clothing in May 2010 … and the woman immediately went to the cops to file a complaint.
The alleged victim tells TMZ … she is a singer who was signed to Steve’s record label and on the day of the alleged incident, she had met Steve at an office to discuss her contract.
Francis most recently played in China, but has been doing… whatever it is Steve Francis does after playing basketball, which apparently includes running a record label. Francis’ allegations mark a relatively quiet start to the NBA offseason, especially considering, or maybe because of the lockout, as very few NBA players (current or former) have been in legal difficulties, relative to previous year.
The fact that the police have yet to pursue charges in over a year since the charge was filed by the woman doesn’t speak well of the case , but of course, without knowing the details, speculation is dangerous (as always).
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 6
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 0
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 18
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 14
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)