Jul 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
From the office of “unnecessarily depressing news” comes word from TMZ that former Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis is being charged with sexual assault.
According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Francis allegedly “groped” a 20-year-old woman through her clothing in May 2010 … and the woman immediately went to the cops to file a complaint.
The alleged victim tells TMZ … she is a singer who was signed to Steve’s record label and on the day of the alleged incident, she had met Steve at an office to discuss her contract.
Francis most recently played in China, but has been doing… whatever it is Steve Francis does after playing basketball, which apparently includes running a record label. Francis’ allegations mark a relatively quiet start to the NBA offseason, especially considering, or maybe because of the lockout, as very few NBA players (current or former) have been in legal difficulties, relative to previous year.
The fact that the police have yet to pursue charges in over a year since the charge was filed by the woman doesn’t speak well of the case , but of course, without knowing the details, speculation is dangerous (as always).
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 0
- Suns’ P.J. Tucker suspended one game for blow to head of Blake Griffin 8
- Vogel: Andrew Bynum to play for Indiana Pacers Tuesday night 14
- Report: Phil Jackson expected to finalize contract with Knicks by end of week 32
- The Extra Pass: Gerald Green doesn’t regret moment of his winding journey to NBA stardom 11