Jul 23, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
From the office of “unnecessarily depressing news” comes word from TMZ that former Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis is being charged with sexual assault.
According to the police report, obtained by TMZ, Francis allegedly “groped” a 20-year-old woman through her clothing in May 2010 … and the woman immediately went to the cops to file a complaint.
The alleged victim tells TMZ … she is a singer who was signed to Steve’s record label and on the day of the alleged incident, she had met Steve at an office to discuss her contract.
Francis most recently played in China, but has been doing… whatever it is Steve Francis does after playing basketball, which apparently includes running a record label. Francis’ allegations mark a relatively quiet start to the NBA offseason, especially considering, or maybe because of the lockout, as very few NBA players (current or former) have been in legal difficulties, relative to previous year.
The fact that the police have yet to pursue charges in over a year since the charge was filed by the woman doesn’t speak well of the case , but of course, without knowing the details, speculation is dangerous (as always).
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70