Jul 23, 2011, 8:31 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports reports that the Celtics have a Hall of Famer coach looking for a job… as an assistant. Larry Brown reportedly is looking to join Doc Rivers’ team on the bench.
Despite Brown’s credentials and good relationship with Rivers, the Celtics coach is inclined to promote a well-regarded young assistant on his staff – Mike Longabardi – sources said. Nevertheless, Rivers hasn’t ruled out the idea of further discussing a spot for Brown on his bench next season.
Rivers agreed to a new five-year, $35 million contract in June, and the Celtics aren’t dying to pay for a high-profile assistant like they’ve had recently in Tom Thibodeau and Frank, sources said. And yet as one league source close to Brown said, “Larry would do this for less than the going rate.”
It’s an interesting idea, after both Tom Thibodeau and Lawrence Frank have departed the assistant roster for head coaching positions. The question is whether Brown would remain happy as an assistant and whether he’d be using this to rehab his image to get back into head coaching consideration after failing to secure interviews for several positions since being fired from the Bobcats.
Brown’s certainly got the reputation as a winner who has the players’ respect, but he’s also up there in age and you never want to risk complicating a good situation that works. We’ll have to see if the Celtics are willing to gamble with trying to fix what works or if they simply promote from within.
- Portland comes from 10 down in fourth quarter to win 99-92, stay alive in series 0
- Bucks stay alive behind big backcourt performance to force Game 6 vs. Bulls 10
- Incredible 35-point performance from Deron Williams leads Nets to overtime Game 4 win over Hawks 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 2
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 6
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 38
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 6
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 15