Jul 23, 2011, 5:42 PM EST
Saturday, NBA basketball was back. Okay, not really. But NBA players (or former, I guess, considering they’re locked out) played in the Philippines on Saturday in an exhibition against the PBA All-Stars. It was a huge event, with a raucous Filipino crowd chanting and cheering everything. Honestly, it was louder than about 95% of all arenas in the NBA. Let’s just say Kobe doesn’t get that kind of reception from his crowd, in-between taco chants. From the Philippino Star:
In return, Kobe Bryant and company, playing under the banner of SMART All-Star team, put on a show to remember, drubbing the PBA stars, 131-105, in the kickoff game of the Ultimate All-Star Weekend at the full-packed Araneta Coliseum tonight.
The game’s result was a foregone conclusion but the crowd waited with bated breath just every move the NBA stars made.
They were more exciting and more adorable up close and personal.
Also awed and thrilled were the PBA stars.
JaVale McGee led the way (who saw that coming?) with 25 points, including about seventeen missed layups and one coast-to-coast jam, while Kevin Durant has 22 and Derrick Williams 19. Derrick Rose had only nine points, but then, he didn’t have to score after this jam.
And not to be outdone, KD and James Harden got in the act:
A great time was had by all and another exhibition is set for tomorrow. It should serve as a reminder that these are the best players in the world, and they are irreplaceable. Their talents only last the length of their careers and we should appreciate them while we can.
Ahem… owners… ahem.
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14