Jul 22, 2011, 4:04 PM EDT
We’ll see how good Germany is as a team, but they have one formidable front line.
Dirk Nowitzki has made it official and will play for Germany this summer as the team tries to qualify for the 2012 London Olympics. He will be joined on the front line by Clippers center Chris Kaman, according to the official FIBA site (via Hoopshype).
“The rest was short but I would like to help the young German national team to gain success in Eurobasket,” Nowitzki said. “I will do everything to keep fit and I’m looking forward to spending time with the guys.”
Kaman is a naturalized German citizen due to his ancestry and he played for Germany in 2008 in Beijing (where the team went 1-4 in group play).
EuroBasket starts Aug. 31 in Lithuania and will feature 22 teams trying to earn one of two automatic berths to the London Olympics. Teams that finish third through sixth will take part in the pre-Olympics qualifying tournament next year for a second shot to get in. To follow the summer tournaments keep on reading PBT and also check out FIBA’s road to London site.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 17
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona