Jul 22, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
Micky Arison became CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines at the age of 28. With the money he made from that and other ventures, he took over controlling interest of the Miami Heat 16 years ago.
Now he is going to put more time into the carnival business while his son Nick Arison — at the ripe old age of 30 — will take over day-to-day operations as the CEO of the Heat, the team announced Friday. And by the way, that’s a good thing.
Nick has worked for the team for 15 years and full time since 2003 (after he graduated from Duke). He most recently was Vice President of Basketball Operations until this promotion.
“This is something Nick has been working towards his whole life. He’s more prepared for this job than I was at his age when I became CEO of Carnival,” expressed Micky Arison (in the official team release). “I have the utmost confidence that Nick will continue to lead the HEAT as a model NBA franchise for many years to come.”
Micky remains the guy at the head of the ownership table, but Nick will steer the ship.
What does this mean for the Heat? Nothing that should worry fans. Little really changes. Pat Riley is still calling all the basketball shots, Nick (by reputation) is not a guy who demands a say on players and personnel. So, he’s not Jim Buss. (You know those off-the-wall picks the Lakers made at the end of the second round of the last NBA draft? Some of those were reportedly ordered by Buss over the objection of scouts.) For the Heat, things will continue pretty much the same as they have.
Nick is the third generation of Arison’s involved with the Heat (his grandfather Ted was one of the original founders of the organization).
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10