Jul 22, 2011, 8:10 AM EST
Chris Paul is the latest NBA star “open” to playing in Europe next season if the NBA lockout drags on. He joins Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and a host of others who are open to the idea.
Personally, I’m open to dating Scarlett Johansson. I’m open to winning the Mega Millions lottery. I’m open to having dinner at Osteria Francescana next time I’m in Italy. Being open to something and it happening are two very different things.
Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard are among the superstars who are reportedly willing to consider playing overseas. One superstar who, at least for now, is not looking into playing elsewhere is LeBron James, according to sources.
Insert your own joke here about LeBron quitting on that team, too.
That said, this is a nice change of pace. He’s honest, he says he doesn’t want to go. I’m weary of guys who say they are open to playing overseas.
For guys like LeBron (or Kobe or Howard), the risk is too big. The contracts are dramatically smaller in Eure and even if they get a piece of merchandising of jerseys and the like it will pale in comparison to top NBA money. If Deron Williams or Dwight Howard got injured overseas it might not only cost them this year but future deals they are on the doorstep of getting.
Go read Broussard’s entire piece, you get a view that not all agents view their clients playing overseas the same way. You’ll also see that the owners seem to be settling in for a long fight. Which is not good.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 10
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 23
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 13
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15