Jul 22, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
Chris Paul is the latest NBA star “open” to playing in Europe next season if the NBA lockout drags on. He joins Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and a host of others who are open to the idea.
Personally, I’m open to dating Scarlett Johansson. I’m open to winning the Mega Millions lottery. I’m open to having dinner at Osteria Francescana next time I’m in Italy. Being open to something and it happening are two very different things.
Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard are among the superstars who are reportedly willing to consider playing overseas. One superstar who, at least for now, is not looking into playing elsewhere is LeBron James, according to sources.
Insert your own joke here about LeBron quitting on that team, too.
That said, this is a nice change of pace. He’s honest, he says he doesn’t want to go. I’m weary of guys who say they are open to playing overseas.
For guys like LeBron (or Kobe or Howard), the risk is too big. The contracts are dramatically smaller in Eure and even if they get a piece of merchandising of jerseys and the like it will pale in comparison to top NBA money. If Deron Williams or Dwight Howard got injured overseas it might not only cost them this year but future deals they are on the doorstep of getting.
Go read Broussard’s entire piece, you get a view that not all agents view their clients playing overseas the same way. You’ll also see that the owners seem to be settling in for a long fight. Which is not good.
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul 0
- PBT Extra matchups to watch: Can Memphis keep Damian Lillard in check? 0
- Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault 7
- Hawks’ Mike Budenholzer named 2014-15 NBA Coach of the Year 9
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 12
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 6
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 14
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 6