Jul 22, 2011, 8:10 AM EDT
Chris Paul is the latest NBA star “open” to playing in Europe next season if the NBA lockout drags on. He joins Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard and a host of others who are open to the idea.
Personally, I’m open to dating Scarlett Johansson. I’m open to winning the Mega Millions lottery. I’m open to having dinner at Osteria Francescana next time I’m in Italy. Being open to something and it happening are two very different things.
Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard are among the superstars who are reportedly willing to consider playing overseas. One superstar who, at least for now, is not looking into playing elsewhere is LeBron James, according to sources.
Insert your own joke here about LeBron quitting on that team, too.
That said, this is a nice change of pace. He’s honest, he says he doesn’t want to go. I’m weary of guys who say they are open to playing overseas.
For guys like LeBron (or Kobe or Howard), the risk is too big. The contracts are dramatically smaller in Eure and even if they get a piece of merchandising of jerseys and the like it will pale in comparison to top NBA money. If Deron Williams or Dwight Howard got injured overseas it might not only cost them this year but future deals they are on the doorstep of getting.
Go read Broussard’s entire piece, you get a view that not all agents view their clients playing overseas the same way. You’ll also see that the owners seem to be settling in for a long fight. Which is not good.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 0
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 15
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32