Jul 21, 2011, 5:25 PM EDT
Here’s the report, courtesy of Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski:
Lawrence Frank is Detroit’s choice to be its next head coach, and formal offer imminent within next 24-36 hours, league sources tell Y!
Frank is currently the lead assistant for the Boston Celtics, and his most recent head coaching gig was with the New Jersey Nets. Frank coached the Nets for seven seasons, and made the playoffs in his first four years with the team. Frank missed the playoffs in his final two full seasons with the team, and was fired after losing the first 16 games of the 2009-10 season. Before you blame Frank for those last few seasons, look at how then-owner Bruce Ratner started to order a gutting of the talent on the roster — this was not all Frank. He wasn’t perfect, but he was also a bit of a scapegoat.
Reportedly, Pistons GM Joe Dumars preferred former Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson to take over the young Pistons, but Frank impressed team owner Tom Gores in his interview. Frank will replace Jon Kuester, who was an unmitigated disaster as a head coach and was recently hired as an assistant by the Lakers under new coach Mike Brown.
Woodson has interviewed for the Minnesota Timberwolves job, and he has been rumored to be a possible replacement for Frank as the lead assistant to Doc Rivers in Boston.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'