Jul 21, 2011, 2:29 PM EST
Vince Carter says isn’t done.
That doesn’t mean he has any idea where he is going to land, but he says he has more NBA level basketball in him.
Maybe, but you can be sure he’s going to get paid a lot less to do it. The Suns (who traded for him mid-season) are expected to buy him out after the lockout ends — a $4 million buyout or pay his full $18.9 million to keep him, what would you do? That will make Carter an unrestricted free agent.
So he’s going to sell himself, he told the Daytona Beach News Journal.
“You may not know where, but you have to be ready to play. I still want to play a couple more years,” said Carter, who shows no interest of playing overseas during the lockout, as others have talked about. “I’d rather just wait and see what happens.”
Overseas? The bigger question is this: Is there a team in Europe that would want Vince Carter? His body needs rest more than he needs a small European salary.
There may be some NBA teams willing to bring him in, at age 35 next season he could be a solid backup off the bench, if he will accept that role. He had a PER of 14.8 last season, which is right about at the league average. He shot 36 percent from three last season and when he plays within himself he can help a team. He’s not the All-Star, highlight reel Carter anymore, but he can still play a role. Team’s just can’t expect more than that from him.
And he is not playing for $18 million. Maybe not for $4 million. But he’ll get a shot somewhere, and you could see him as a good veteran role player on a good team. Fans just need to remember what Vince Carter they are getting. And Carter needs to be realistic as well.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 11
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 5
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 33
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 51
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 42
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28