Jul 21, 2011, 2:29 PM EDT
Vince Carter says isn’t done.
That doesn’t mean he has any idea where he is going to land, but he says he has more NBA level basketball in him.
Maybe, but you can be sure he’s going to get paid a lot less to do it. The Suns (who traded for him mid-season) are expected to buy him out after the lockout ends — a $4 million buyout or pay his full $18.9 million to keep him, what would you do? That will make Carter an unrestricted free agent.
So he’s going to sell himself, he told the Daytona Beach News Journal.
“You may not know where, but you have to be ready to play. I still want to play a couple more years,” said Carter, who shows no interest of playing overseas during the lockout, as others have talked about. “I’d rather just wait and see what happens.”
Overseas? The bigger question is this: Is there a team in Europe that would want Vince Carter? His body needs rest more than he needs a small European salary.
There may be some NBA teams willing to bring him in, at age 35 next season he could be a solid backup off the bench, if he will accept that role. He had a PER of 14.8 last season, which is right about at the league average. He shot 36 percent from three last season and when he plays within himself he can help a team. He’s not the All-Star, highlight reel Carter anymore, but he can still play a role. Team’s just can’t expect more than that from him.
And he is not playing for $18 million. Maybe not for $4 million. But he’ll get a shot somewhere, and you could see him as a good veteran role player on a good team. Fans just need to remember what Vince Carter they are getting. And Carter needs to be realistic as well.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49