Jul 21, 2011, 2:03 PM EDT
You can’t really blame Derrick Williams for deciding to leave college and enter the NBA draft — even if you’re an Arizona fan.
You only get so many kicks at the can, and after a fantastic NCAA Tournament Williams was a clear high draft pick (he went No. 2 overall to Minnesota). While I get the whole “value of an education” argument when we are talking millions of dollars guaranteed, you have to think that money can secure his future.
Except Williams money is locked up as the whole NBA is locked out.
That seemed to keep some guys in school (a lot of likely lottery picks went back to college for another year). Williams has gotten some money by signing with Under Armour to be his shoe company, but in talking with Holly McKenzie at The Basketball Jones he expressed concern of talk that the season could be lost.
Yeah. If they told me I was going to miss all 82 games next season I would have stayed in college and enjoyed myself and enjoyed all of my teammates and everybody else who is involved with Arizona. I definitely would have went back.
Rookies are in a tough spot, because they are not in the union (they don’t have a contract yet) and so all they can do is watch and workout. For first round picks like Williams, going to Europe means risking that NBA money (if he got injured his team may not sign the deal). For second round picks, who have no NBA guarantee, they have to consider getting paid somewhere.
It’s all just a big mess.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 0
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 9
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 18
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final