Jul 21, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
We reported to you yesterday Alonzo Mourning is getting sued for an alleged hit-and-run accident with a Miami area college student, William J. Candelario.
Mourning, as one expects, says he did nothing wrong, and the police reports seem to back up his version of events. The Miami Herald spoke with the former Heat player and current front office member for the franchise.
The accident happened at around 3 a.m., when Mourning and his wife were driving home from Chris Bosh’s wedding. There had already been one serious accident that left one car overturned and totaled, when Mourning came through. Both of the cars were sitting in the road, according to police.
Mourning told The Herald that he was hindered by “a blind spot” as the road rises and he braked right away. But he could not avoid hitting a silver 2010 Audi sitting next to another car, a 2001 Chevrolet overturned in the roadway….
According to a Florida Highway Police report, Mourning got out, went over to check on the men, who told him they were OK and that they had already called police. Mourning continued driving home, then called police, the FHP report said.
He was told to return to the scene and he did. He and his wife returned to the accident scene in Tracy Mourning’s SUV. She drove.
Candelario is suing the drivers of both cars. To answer an obvious question, Mourning said he had not been drinking (he had a kidney replacement during his playing days and said because of that he does not drink).
Mourning said he thought he hit a car that had already been totaled and since everyone was fine he could go home. The attorney for Candelario said that Mourning is being sued because he left the scene and they are trying to get a complete picture of what happened.
Candelario’s attorney also said Mourning is not being sued because he has deep pockets. That we find a little tougher to believe, but we’ll see how this all plays out.
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 6
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Hibbert said he will speak up in future, demand to be in game at end 9
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 24
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 15
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (76)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement