Jul 21, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
We reported to you yesterday Alonzo Mourning is getting sued for an alleged hit-and-run accident with a Miami area college student, William J. Candelario.
Mourning, as one expects, says he did nothing wrong, and the police reports seem to back up his version of events. The Miami Herald spoke with the former Heat player and current front office member for the franchise.
The accident happened at around 3 a.m., when Mourning and his wife were driving home from Chris Bosh’s wedding. There had already been one serious accident that left one car overturned and totaled, when Mourning came through. Both of the cars were sitting in the road, according to police.
Mourning told The Herald that he was hindered by “a blind spot” as the road rises and he braked right away. But he could not avoid hitting a silver 2010 Audi sitting next to another car, a 2001 Chevrolet overturned in the roadway….
According to a Florida Highway Police report, Mourning got out, went over to check on the men, who told him they were OK and that they had already called police. Mourning continued driving home, then called police, the FHP report said.
He was told to return to the scene and he did. He and his wife returned to the accident scene in Tracy Mourning’s SUV. She drove.
Candelario is suing the drivers of both cars. To answer an obvious question, Mourning said he had not been drinking (he had a kidney replacement during his playing days and said because of that he does not drink).
Mourning said he thought he hit a car that had already been totaled and since everyone was fine he could go home. The attorney for Candelario said that Mourning is being sued because he left the scene and they are trying to get a complete picture of what happened.
Candelario’s attorney also said Mourning is not being sued because he has deep pockets. That we find a little tougher to believe, but we’ll see how this all plays out.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 14
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 31
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 85
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 55
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4