Jul 20, 2011, 6:58 PM EDT
Sports Illustrated’s Sam Amick recently did an absolutely classic interview with Ron Artest (whose name has not been changed to Metta World Peace yet), and the Laker forward talked about his television career, why he would want to play in the UK in a lockout, and his budding stand-up comedy career. Here’s a quick excerpt:
SI.com: You never brought comedy up as a possibility when we had that chat. How did it come about?
Artest: I never knew I would do that. But all the comedians see you on TV, so I’m dealing with some agents who have the top comedians. One [agent] reached out to me.
SI.com: So that first phone call you got about standing up on stage and being a comedian — what was going through your head?
Artest: I was super nervous. I knew I would do it — I’ll do anything. I’m not afraid of nothing. I was more nervous about [coming] to grips with [the fact that] I’m going to suck, you know? I’m like, “You’re going to be horrible.” And once I knew I was going to be horrible, I was like, “[Expletive] it. Let’s do it.” I was expecting boos.
For more of Artest’s thoughts on his joke-writing process, his acting career, how he thinks his first stand-up gig went, and why he wants to play in the UK, click through and read the full interview. As always, shine on, Ron Artest.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 9
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 7
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 27
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 5
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games