Jul 20, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
It was five years ago Tuesday that the Seattle Sonics were sold to the group — Clay Bennett’s The Professional Basketball Club, LLC — that a couple years later would move them to Oklahoma City.
Kevin Pelton has a must-read post on his recolections of that day. There are a lot of good basketball fans in that city eventually screwed over by politicans and team owners, fans who had the audacity not to want to pitch in to help billioaires build a new stadium. (They did that in Oklahoma City, residents there voted to tax themselves to get an arena.)
But for one night, some NBA players are coming back to Seattle for an exhibition game, reports the Oregonian.
Three years after the SuperSonics left for Oklahoma City, Seattle will get a small taste of the NBA with an exhibition game Saturday at KeyArena, one that will feature plenty of Trail Blazers and state of Oregon connections.
Blazers guard Brandon Roy headlines the field of the H206 Charity Basketball Classic, billed as “a state-wide public celebration showcasing the contribution of basketball to the Pacific Northwest….”
Roy’s Seattle team includes former Blazer Martell Webster, who plays for Minnesota; former University of Oregon star Aaron Brooks, who is a restricted free agent with the Suns; and Atlanta guard Jamal Crawford, a former NBA Sixth Man of the Year award winner.
The League team includes Nolan Smith, who was drafted by the Blazers out of Duke last month; Kyle Singler, the former South Medford High School star who was Smith’s teammate at Duke and was drafted by Detroit; and former University of Portland star Pooh Jeter, who played for Sacramento this past season and is a free agent.
Sounds like a good night of basketball for a good cause. And now the tables are turned — Seattle will see NBA players while Oklahoma City and other NBA cities may not for a long time.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11