Jul 20, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston, unrestricted free agent guard Delonte West would like to stay with the Boston Celtics next season:
West is an unrestricted free agent this summer and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge previously expressed a desire in retaining West’s services at season’s end. The team stuck by West during the early portion of last season, even amidst a locker room dust-up with teammate Von Wafer, and it appears that sort of faith resonated with West.
“Delonte was drafted by Boston and he has a special place for Boston because of that,” said his agent Jarinn Akana of Lagardere Unlimited. “He spent some good years there, then came back last year and was able to play, but had injuries here and there. He did contribute, but he wanted to contribute more and help Boston advance further. Of course he’d like to be back, I think that’s his No. 1 goal to be back and help Boston win another championship.”
West had a breakout 2008-09 season with the Cavaliers, averaging 11.7 points per game on 45.7% shooting from the field and 40% from beyond the arc while playing excellent defense, but off-court issues held him back in 2009-10, and injuries kept him from ever finding his groove with the Celtics last season. When West is on, he’s a scrappy player who can defend both guard positions well, can make plays and take the ball to the rim, and can knock down open three-pointers. If he wants to remain in Boston, the Celtics would be wise to keep him.
- Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension 2
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 30
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 13
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70