Jul 20, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston, unrestricted free agent guard Delonte West would like to stay with the Boston Celtics next season:
West is an unrestricted free agent this summer and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge previously expressed a desire in retaining West’s services at season’s end. The team stuck by West during the early portion of last season, even amidst a locker room dust-up with teammate Von Wafer, and it appears that sort of faith resonated with West.
“Delonte was drafted by Boston and he has a special place for Boston because of that,” said his agent Jarinn Akana of Lagardere Unlimited. “He spent some good years there, then came back last year and was able to play, but had injuries here and there. He did contribute, but he wanted to contribute more and help Boston advance further. Of course he’d like to be back, I think that’s his No. 1 goal to be back and help Boston win another championship.”
West had a breakout 2008-09 season with the Cavaliers, averaging 11.7 points per game on 45.7% shooting from the field and 40% from beyond the arc while playing excellent defense, but off-court issues held him back in 2009-10, and injuries kept him from ever finding his groove with the Celtics last season. When West is on, he’s a scrappy player who can defend both guard positions well, can make plays and take the ball to the rim, and can knock down open three-pointers. If he wants to remain in Boston, the Celtics would be wise to keep him.
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 2
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 9
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 11
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 49