Jul 20, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
According to Chris Forsberg of ESPN Boston, unrestricted free agent guard Delonte West would like to stay with the Boston Celtics next season:
West is an unrestricted free agent this summer and Celtics president of basketball operations Danny Ainge previously expressed a desire in retaining West’s services at season’s end. The team stuck by West during the early portion of last season, even amidst a locker room dust-up with teammate Von Wafer, and it appears that sort of faith resonated with West.
“Delonte was drafted by Boston and he has a special place for Boston because of that,” said his agent Jarinn Akana of Lagardere Unlimited. “He spent some good years there, then came back last year and was able to play, but had injuries here and there. He did contribute, but he wanted to contribute more and help Boston advance further. Of course he’d like to be back, I think that’s his No. 1 goal to be back and help Boston win another championship.”
West had a breakout 2008-09 season with the Cavaliers, averaging 11.7 points per game on 45.7% shooting from the field and 40% from beyond the arc while playing excellent defense, but off-court issues held him back in 2009-10, and injuries kept him from ever finding his groove with the Celtics last season. When West is on, he’s a scrappy player who can defend both guard positions well, can make plays and take the ball to the rim, and can knock down open three-pointers. If he wants to remain in Boston, the Celtics would be wise to keep him.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 6
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 14
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3