Jul 19, 2011, 1:09 PM EST
Officially, none of this is about the lockout and NBA players going overseas… unless that somehow comes up.
NBA Commissioner David Stern has a meeting set up with FIBA secretary general Patrick Baumann this week in New York. With all the talk of players going overseas would say “what a coincidence” but everyone involved said this meeting has been on the books for months to discuss the 2014 World Championships.
That doesn’t mean, however, other topics might not come up. Coincidentally, of course. Chris Sheridan of ESPN has some ideas.
A spokesman for FIBA would not disclose the exact topics on the agenda, but it’s expected to include two important issues: the prohibitive cost of securing insurance for foreign NBA players who wish to play for their national teams this summer, and the legal ramifications of FIBA issuing letters of clearance to players such as Deron Williams who have signed contracts with overseas teams.
We’ll take the second one first — there are a lot of NBA players talking about playing overseas during the lockout, and Deron Williams has even signed a deal. But for Williams to play for his new Turkish team in a European competition, he has to get a “letter of clearance” from FIBA because he is already under contract with New Jersey.
Stern and the league have said they would not stand in the way of players going overseas, but you’re kidding yourself if you think this all goes unmentioned.
Insurance is another issue, usually NBA players are covered to play internationally through their existing deals. Not with the lockout. It’s a lot of money — Spanish officials said it could cost more than $6 million to insure their team during EuroBasket this summer (the Olympic qualifying tournament for the continent). That is a chunk of change. In the case of Australia, they already said Andrew Bogut will not play with them this summer because of the cost.
Don’t expect anything earth shattering out of these meetings, but Stern tends to exert subtle pressure in these situations to get what he wants.
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 0
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 8
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 5
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 35
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 18
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6