Jul 18, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
Don Nelson is getting all the hype, but he is still in Maui. (If you have to be somewhere, that’s not a bad place to choose.)
But former Bucks and Suns head coach Terry Porter is in Minnesota talking to the Timberowolves official about their head coaching job, according to the Star Tribune. Porter has been the color commentator on Trail Blazers television broadcasts this past season (one of the league’s complete homer broadcast teams, which made them hard to listen to).
Former Timberwolves player and former Milwaukee and Portland head coach Terry Porter today is the first candidate to formally interview for the team’s head-coaching job, according to league sources.
(Wolves GM) David Kahn has made background research calls and talked by phone to at least one other candidate — Don Nelson — but Porter is the first to come to town to interview with Kahn and likely owner Glen Taylor.
Porter was the coach in Phoenix right after Mike D’Antoni left and in one season they played at the fourth-fastest pace in the league, but despite having 46 wins did not qualify for the playoffs. And they played terrible defense (26th in league in defensive efficiency). That season the Suns had Amar’e Stoudemire, Shaquille O’Neal, Jason Richardson and Steve Nash. Porter also coached two seasons for the Bucks (where their pace was much closer to the league average).
They did run and have a good offense, two things Kahn said he wanted. Also, Porter played 17 years as an NBA point guard, he could be a good mentor for Ricky Rubio.
Nelson is still being considered. But the first interview goes to Porter.
Whoever gets the job replaces Kurt Rambis, who was 100 games under .500 in two seasons as coach.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 0
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 10
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 12
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 6
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 47
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7