Jul 18, 2011, 7:25 PM EDT
Yes, yes, we know: If there’s a season. But since the league is pretending like there will be a season by releasing the 2011-12 schedule on Tuesday, as details of the marquee games continue to leak out, we’ll keep bringing them right to you.
We’ve already told you that the main event on Christmas day will be a Finals rematch between the Mavericks and the Heat. Now comes word of another of the holiday’s scheduled games, via Barbara Barker of Newsday (on Twitter):
Knicks to host the Celtics on Xmas day, league source tells me. Provided, of course, there is a season.
If all of these reports are true (and really, we have no reason to believe otherwise), then that leaves the Lakers, who traditionally play (and often get crushed) on Christmas day, without an obvious opponent considering the Heat and the Celtics are already matched up elsewhere.
Since the league typically uses Christmas as an opportunity to showcase its biggest markets, brightest stars, and top teams, you’re probably looking at some combination of L.A., Oklahoma City, Chicago, and Orlando being involved, along with a couple of upstarts to round out the schedule.
We won’t have to wait much longer for the official announcement, which will come at 2 p.m. Eastern on Tuesday. Exactly when we’ll get the more important announcement — you know, the one that tells us whether or not there will actually be a season — is unfortunately anyone’s guess.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 0
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 45
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13