Jul 18, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
Perks of going to the Charlotte Bobcats fantasy camp is that the owner may show up and hang out.
Which is what happened Monday. According to Bobcats.com at the morning camp session one girl asked if MJ could still dunk. And we know how Jordan reacts to a challenge.
At the evening session he showed up and threw one down — pretty easily, we should add. Follow this link to the video (we would embed it, but NBA.com stopped making their videos embeddable last season because… we have no idea, but they are not).
JumpUSA.com lists Jordan’s standing reach at (8’10”) while noting that you need to be able to touch four to six inches above the rim to dunk a ball. So we can calculate (estimate) that Jordan has, at minimum, an 18″ vertical leap. Pretty solid given that he is pushing 50 years old. In case you were wondering, the site lists his highest measured vertical at 43″.
That’s slightly higher than my best. We’d say that Jordan is the only owner who can dunk, but we’re not sure about Mikhail Prokhorov of the Nets. And of course Michael Heisley of Memphis.
My guess is that a decade from now, if challenged, Jordan would still have another dunk in him.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 2
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6