Jul 18, 2011, 10:40 PM EDT
Perks of going to the Charlotte Bobcats fantasy camp is that the owner may show up and hang out.
Which is what happened Monday. According to Bobcats.com at the morning camp session one girl asked if MJ could still dunk. And we know how Jordan reacts to a challenge.
At the evening session he showed up and threw one down — pretty easily, we should add. Follow this link to the video (we would embed it, but NBA.com stopped making their videos embeddable last season because… we have no idea, but they are not).
JumpUSA.com lists Jordan’s standing reach at (8’10”) while noting that you need to be able to touch four to six inches above the rim to dunk a ball. So we can calculate (estimate) that Jordan has, at minimum, an 18″ vertical leap. Pretty solid given that he is pushing 50 years old. In case you were wondering, the site lists his highest measured vertical at 43″.
That’s slightly higher than my best. We’d say that Jordan is the only owner who can dunk, but we’re not sure about Mikhail Prokhorov of the Nets. And of course Michael Heisley of Memphis.
My guess is that a decade from now, if challenged, Jordan would still have another dunk in him.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 3
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 19
- NBA GMs surveyed predict LeBron will win MVP, Spurs will repeat as champions 27
- Owners vote down NBA Draft lottery reform, system to stay same for this season 46
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Houston Rockets 24
- Kobe Bryant responds to ESPN article with basically a shrug (VIDEO) 20
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 22
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 12