Jul 18, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
Lawrence Frank coming to the rescue of the New York Knicks?
Maybe, if Mike D’Antoni gets his way. At least that’s the report.
The Knicks want — and need — an assistant coach to take over and be “defensive coordinator” and Frank did that job last season for the Boston Celtics (who had the second best defensive rating in the NBA). There is interest, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday.
From what we’ve been hearing, D’Antoni personally likes Frank and there is a strong mutual interest there for many reasons.
First of all, whomever the Knicks hire would have to accept a one-year deal because D’Antoni is going into the final year of his contract and there is some uncertainty about his future. Frank, unlike most, would likely be amenable to accepting a one-year contract because it gives him the freedom to continue to look for head coaching jobs.
Frank might also prefer New York over returning to Boston for proximity reasons, as well, because he could be home full-time in New Jersey, where his wife and two daughters remained last season when he worked for the Celtics.
What Frank really wants is a head coaching job. Reports are he really wowed new Pistons owner Tom Gores and is one of the finalists there (along with Mike Woodson, preferred by GM Joe Dumars).
But if Frank is not coaching the Pistons through a rebuilding process, maybe the Knicks are a fit. Or, he might just stay put in Boston to help that team make one more title run with their big four.
Basically, Lawrence Frank has plenty of options.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)