Jul 18, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
Lawrence Frank coming to the rescue of the New York Knicks?
Maybe, if Mike D’Antoni gets his way. At least that’s the report.
The Knicks want — and need — an assistant coach to take over and be “defensive coordinator” and Frank did that job last season for the Boston Celtics (who had the second best defensive rating in the NBA). There is interest, according to Alan Hahn of Newsday.
From what we’ve been hearing, D’Antoni personally likes Frank and there is a strong mutual interest there for many reasons.
First of all, whomever the Knicks hire would have to accept a one-year deal because D’Antoni is going into the final year of his contract and there is some uncertainty about his future. Frank, unlike most, would likely be amenable to accepting a one-year contract because it gives him the freedom to continue to look for head coaching jobs.
Frank might also prefer New York over returning to Boston for proximity reasons, as well, because he could be home full-time in New Jersey, where his wife and two daughters remained last season when he worked for the Celtics.
What Frank really wants is a head coaching job. Reports are he really wowed new Pistons owner Tom Gores and is one of the finalists there (along with Mike Woodson, preferred by GM Joe Dumars).
But if Frank is not coaching the Pistons through a rebuilding process, maybe the Knicks are a fit. Or, he might just stay put in Boston to help that team make one more title run with their big four.
Basically, Lawrence Frank has plenty of options.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 17
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36