Jul 18, 2011, 8:10 AM EST
There is a lot of risk in Dwight Howard playing overseas during the lockout — he has two years, $37.5 million on his existing deal that can be wiped out if he gets injured. What’s more, he has said he is going to opt out of that last year, meaning he would be a free agent, getting a max deal (whatever that is in the new labor deal) from wherever he ends up. Get injured and he is not cashing in on that $70 million or more payday.
But none of that stopped Deron Williams, and Howard said it may not stop him either.
In an interview with the Associated Press Howard sounded serious about playing overseas during a lockout.
“I’m not at liberty to talk about it,” he said, “but there’s a huge possibility about me going to China or me going overseas to play basketball.”
“If I decide to go overseas, the main thing is for me to continue to get better, not to do the things that I normally do, but do better at the things I’m not good at,” Howard said. “So I can use that talent to go overseas, working on my skills and staying in great shape.”
I don’t think it makes any sense for Howard (or other name stars to go overseas), the risks are too great. Unless you don’t like money. And it doesn’t really help the Magic, who have enough problems.
But Howard didn’t just say he was open to the idea, he said it was probable. He may be the next big name to sign.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 12
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 7
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (39)