Jul 17, 2011, 1:30 PM EDT
It’s really quaint, actually. The NBA is going to go ahead and release the schedule for the 2011-2012 season this week, acting like it intends to have a season while its owners openly push for missing the whole year just to bury the players completely. It’s kind of cruel in retrospect, though, to tease the fans with all the basketball they’re going to be missing while this bull-headed lockout continues.
But hey, if we do get a season by Christmas, we get a good one for the big Holiday game.
The Miami Herald reports that one Christmas Day game will be Mavericks-Heat, “likely at 2:30 p.m. EST.”
It’s an interesting choice, as traditionally the league opts for the two biggest pulls, like last year’s Heat-Lakers tilt. But with the Lakers falling off the cliff in the second round, even with their likely championship contending roster, and the Mavericks winning the title in a fairly epic Finals series that saw four of the six games come down to the last possessions, Mavs-Heat edged out the Lakers. Apparently it’s the Phil Jackson effect.
The interesting question will be who the Lakers, Bulls, and Celtics face. Odds are pretty good that it’ll be Lakers-Thunder, with Bulls-Celtics as the other day tilt. Then the Knicks will have to fit in somewhere, though last year’s Knicks-Bulls game was pretty entertaining. It’s a coin flip whether the Magic will make the cut to be on that day. And for the night game, traditionally between two smaller market franchises, what about a Grizzlies-Spurs rematch? Nothing says Christmas like Tony Parker vs. Mike Conley.
All of this talk gets you excited about the season. Too bad the owners are making it nearly impossible for talks to move forward, meaning it’s likely we’ll never get to see these games.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29