Jul 17, 2011, 9:37 AM EDT
It’s a tough line to walk, believe it or not. Your favorite players leaving to play overseas is definitely news, it affects their health, their conditioning, and lets you know there’s something to keep an eye on, in terms of their production. But with so many players talking about going (pretty much everyone it seems has been advised either by their agents or by the NBPA to say they’re “open” to going overseas), a lot of it gets lost in the din. So we thought we’d round up the latest for you.
- Let’s start with Steve Nash, who told Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic that he’d “love to play overseas” though he was worried about it with three kids. His agent said he’s “ready to roll.” Nash would fit well into the European style, on the surface, but then again, Nash fits well into pretty much any style on the surface.
- Rudy Gay said on Twitter he’d be open to going. Not like he needs it after signing that last contract, but hey. See the world.
- There are rumors Nash’s teammate Marcin Gortat has signed with the Russian team Spartak Saint Petersburg.
- AS.com reports that Real Madrid is looking at Mo Evans, Sasha Pavlovic, Jamal Crawford, Anthony Parker, and Andres Nocioni. Of those, Crawford would cost the most, but would make the biggest splash. They’re in need of a small forward, so Evans might be the best fit (for the first time in his career).
- Another Sun, Garret Siler is also looking at what he wants to do and is comfortable heading out. It’s guys like Siler who have a greater majority within the union and therefore a greater impact if they can head overseas.
- Al Iannazone of the New Jersey Record reports that Sasha Vujacic‘s contract for Istanbul does not contain an out to play in the NBA if play resumes. The Machine is gone for the long haul.
- Beno Udrih, who is Slovenian, has played for a half dozen European teams in the past, but isn’t looking to go overseas during the lockout. Go figure.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 0
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 12
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 39
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 21
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 18
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29